Is This Kid's Dad a Time Traveler?

Syrixia

The one, the true, the great.
-
TNP Nation
Syrixia
Discord
TrialByDance#0419
I was very intrigued by this when I found it on Reddit, so I thought I'd consult the University for thoughts.
Post 1:
Hey guys,

I have very distinct memories of playing Angry Birds on my dad's iPad...back in the late 80s when I was a kid (I am 31 now). My brother, who is 4 years younger, also vaguely recalls this.

My dad would always take off for weeks at a time to "Europe" and now I'm thinking he was part of something bigger.

He always seemed to know when something was going to happen.

Also, he would always bring us back candies and stuff...a lot of brands I knew about, but with completely different packaging (maybe future packaging).

My dad is still traveling and is away right now. I intend to ask him about it when he gets back.
Post 2:
Hi guys,

Sorry for the delayed update. My friend invited me up to his cottage, and he has Internet last time so I figured I would update from there, but it wasn't working.

Anyway, my dad came home on Friday afternoon and I went to my parents straight from work for dinner. My brother and I had been exchanging memories and "remember whens" all week leading up to the dinner. Things like how my dad, on September 10, 2001, said casually the night before that he was probably going to take the day off tomorrow to stay home and watch TV.

Saw my dad, hugged him, said hello, all that. Helped my mom with dinner (BBQ'd steaks) and finally we all sat around the table to eat. I brought up the iPad. Basically said "Hey, Dad, do you remember when I was about 8 or 9 you had this thing you had that you let us play games on? It was kind of like an iPad?" He nodded like he was remembering, and I saw my brother glance at me. "What was that?" I asked.
He thought for a moment, and I thought it seemed like a bit too long of a moment, you know? Like he was really trying to come up with something. He even smiled a bit. Then he said "I don't know. It was probably a screen or something from work."

My brother said "That you could play games on?" and my dad said "Yeah, they were always making toys and stuff out of the stuff at work. Why?" I said I was just wondering was all. Then my brother said "He thought you were a time traveler and that was an iPad." He had his own ideas about how he was going to make my Dad sweat, but I think he ruined it completely. My dad gave one little laugh and said to me "You did?"

BUT GUYS, I SWEAR there was a little twitch or something, like "Oh shit, he knows." Like, "What makes you think that? Where did I slip up?" I just said I was joking and my dad laughed and that was it. He seemed, to me, to be overly-talkative after for the rest of the evening; a sign of guilt, maybe?

I STILL THINK THERE IS SOMETHING FISHY GOING ON. But I don't know what to do now. I feel like my brother ruined it, and he kind of agrees now. Any ideas?

Hate to be a party pooper but I imagine the Redditor in question misremembered something. There were tons of Speak n Spells and who knows how many other toys with screens back then.

It's probably in the same vein as the Mandela effect, i.e., Redditors can't admit they remembered something wrong.

Still, there is the whole thing about not going to work on 9/11 because he just felt like staying at home and watching the news.

Specifically, notice the delay he mentioned in the posting of the second part. This is commonly done by people who are writing stories to post on reddit. They'll post a part, observe the reaction to it, and then craft the next part based on the reactions of reddit. "The Internet wasn't working" just seems like too convenient an excuse.

I have returned from the future. I can tell you, Syrixia, that in about one page time someone will be calling you gullible for reading and posting such drivel.

Now excuse me, I am off to 1741 to play a hand of piquet and drink sherry with King George II.

flemingovia:
I have returned from the future. I can tell you, Syrixia, that in about one page time someone will be calling you gullible for reading and posting such drivel.

Now excuse me, I am off to 1741 to play a hand of piquet and drink sherry with King George II.
Wow! How did you know? :flemingovia2:

flemingovia:

You guys are no fun. :rofl:

Wolfsea:
Just ignore the phone box and smell of tachyons on my Kriegsmarine jacket...
Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Back