2016 US Presidential Election

Oilgarchy

TNPer
Bernie Sanders is my favorite of the current declared candidates by a long shot - which is not to say I don't have significant problems with him. (Foreign policy, particularly on Israel and Palestine, and gun control being the two big ones.) But I'll probably be working for Hillary's campaign this summer, under the logic that she'd at least be better than Bush, or whoever else the Republicans nominate.

Interested to hear your thoughts!

I agree with Roman. Bernie stands no chance against the sheer support (and money) that Hillary commands. And the Republicans will annihilate each other in the primaries, effectively destroying any of their chances against Hillary.

While I'm part of the I Don't Give a Crap About Any of This US Presidential Elections Shtick Party, I do think that most of the Hillary voters are probably voting just cus of Bill.

Malvad:
I agree with Roman. Bernie stands no chance against the sheer support (and money) that Hillary commands. And the Republicans will annihilate each other in the primaries, effectively destroying any of their chances against Hillary.
I actually think that the Republicans will win. That doesn't mean I support any of their candidates, but I have a feeling that they'll take the White House.
Syrixia:
While I'm part of the I Don't Give a Crap About Any of This US Presidential Elections Shtick Party, I do think that most of the Hillary voters are probably voting just cus of Bill.
I think Hillary voters will vote for Hillary because of Hillary. I don't think a lot of young folks recall jack about any of Bill's actions as president. (Except for the one wearing a blue dress! :w00t: ) Most like Hillary because she's a woman. Nothing against women. (Frankly, after 44 dudes, we need a Woman.)

Hillary has her own political track record distinct from Bill. She was a senator and a secretary of state.

Oh, there's no doubt that Sanders won't lose. (If there was even the slightest hope of him winning, I would certainly not be considering working for Hillary.) But he can still be my favorite.

But Roman - there will almost definitely be more money spent supporting the Republican nominee than the Democratic one. The Koch brothers alone have pledged to spend nearly a billion dollars!

Malvad:
It's disappointing that our president could be bought by the Koch brothers.
I agree. I think it is ridiculous that there is no campaign financing limits that can not be loopholed around.

plembobria:
I actually think that the Republicans will win. That doesn't mean I support any of their candidates, but I have a feeling that they'll take the White House.
In all reality the Republicans don't have the capital (political or otherwise) to win. They will have more money overall when it starts but it is going to be spread out heavily among a dozen moderately powerful candidates. Which will then visiously attack each other because lets be honest the Moderates in the right are sick of being pushed around and the Hardliners are trying to wipe out the Moderates. by the time the dust settles the right will be too disorganized and damaged to put up a serious fight against Hillary.

No offense to Sanders but he just doesn't have the name recognition to take on Hillary. In all seriousness Hillary could start smoking crack right now and still give whoever gets the Republican Nomination a run for their money.

But I have to say the singular fact that Sanders is running is a good thing. He is enough of a threat that Hillary has to backtrack and actually take a stance against several key issues (TPP, marijana legalization and etc) she would otherwise not touch.

Lord Lore:
plembobria:
In all reality the Republicans don't have the capital (political or otherwise) to win. They will have more money overall when it starts but it is going to be spread out heavily among a dozen moderately powerful candidates. Which will then visiously attack each other because lets be honest the Moderates in the right are sick of being pushed around and the Hardliners are trying to wipe out the Moderates. by the time the dust settles the right will be too disorganized and damaged to put up a serious fight against Hillary.

No offense to Sanders but he just doesn't have the name recognition to take on Hillary. In all seriousness Hillary could start smoking crack right now and still give whoever gets the Republican Nomination a run for their money.

But I have to say the singular fact that Sanders is running is a good thing. He is enough of a threat that Hillary has to backtrack and actually take a stance against several key issues (TPP, marijana legalization and etc) she would otherwise not touch.
I agree with what you have to say about Sanders.

But about the Republicans - I certainly hope you're right. But far more money is spent in the general election than the primaries. Most influential Republican donors are conscious of the danger you outlined - of Republicans destroying each other in the primaries, while a Democrat cruises to the nomination. And if Jeb Bush wins the nomination, he'll certainly be a formidable opponent - he's almost guaranteed Florida, he'll fight for the Hispanic vote, and he's perceived as moderate enough to attract independents. And his biggest weakness, his brother, is offset by the fact that Hillary too will be running as the close relative of a former President.

All that said, I still think Hillary will win - but for different reasons.

Who do you guys want to win?

Oilgarchy:
Lord Lore:
plembobria:

But about the Republicans - I certainly hope you're right. But far more money is spent in the general election than the primaries. Most influential Republican donors are conscious of the danger you outlined - of Republicans destroying each other in the primaries, while a Democrat cruises to the nomination. And if Jeb Bush wins the nomination, he'll certainly be a formidable opponent - he's almost guaranteed Florida, he'll fight for the Hispanic vote, and he's perceived as moderate enough to attract independents. And his biggest weakness, his brother, is offset by the fact that Hillary too will be running as the close relative of a former President.

eh Jeb is not actually as solid in even florida as you would think. Jeb himself has mad some problematic statements that have gotten people to think twice about him. When questioned about his foreign policies, jeb said that he considers his brother George would be one of his closest advisors. Which has caused facepalms on the right, so loud they can be heard from space.

In all reality Jeb has not only attached himself to his brother but has chained himself to his brother's reputation.

Gracius Maximus:
Malvad:
It's disappointing that our president could be bought by the Koch brothers.
I agree. I think it is ridiculous that there is no campaign financing limits that can not be loopholed around.

I think the idea of a business entity dumping money into an election is an absurd thing. Ironically, corporations and other business entities are apparently extended the same free speech as an individual human being, but unfortunately not the same monetary restrictions which are placed upon individuals.

I have a theory about all electioins - Elections are overwhelmingly won by whomever has the most money to spend on an election. Hence, it is generally true that a fool and his money are soon elected.

Lord Lore:
plembobria:

I will say, that while I like Sanders' libertarian aspects, his fiscal policies scare the crap out of me. Hillary thinks she is going to be coronated as Queen because she has the money to buy the nomination like Jimmy Carter did. She rails on about the "One Percenters" while she is the absolute poster child for the top 1%.

I don't know. I think after the utter failure and disaster that is Obama, the Democrats will have a real hard time winning the Presidency. Hillary is a definite loose for the Democrats. They could run Webb who would have a wider appeal, but the Democrats are putting their bets on candidates that are so far to the left that they will lose the more conservative and centrist elements of their party. You could get a lot of Republicans who would vote for Webb.

The easiest way for the Republicans to loose in 2016 is if they run some jackass like Jeb Bush. My suspicion is that the Republicans deliberately put up John McCain with the intent of losing just to get that wrinkled old fool out of the way.

No, wait, the easiest way for the Republicans to loose in 2016 is to run Lindsey Graham. That would really put a nail in the lid right there.

I'm only 13 (Obviously, I can't vote), but I like Bernie Sanders. He's a good, strong liberal, and exactly what the country needs right now. Obama and Clinton are both "Big-Buisness Democrats," which has been pushing the "neutral area" righter (in terms of ideology), and Sanders is very left and open. He's for the middle class, and wants to help the majority, raise minimum wage, is pro-choice, and is a good person.

I think the only republican he could really be challenged by (if he wins the primary) is Rand Paul, since he is the leftist republican in my opinion.

Oilgarchy:

However, Bill Clinton might actually do Hillary some good - just look at what he did for Obama. Plus, the only negative thing people remember about his presidency is Monica. George Bush, on the other hand, isn't as popular since his term recently concluded and people still remember the slip-ups during his presidency. I mean, there's always Iraq and 2008 to think about. I don't think Jeb Bush's weakness is offset entirely - but it is offset slightly. Very slightly.

Scukey1:
I'm only 13 (Obviously, I can't vote), but I like Bernie Sanders. He's a good, strong liberal, and exactly what the country needs right now. Obama and Clinton are both "Big-Buisness Democrats," which has been pushing the "neutral area" righter (in terms of ideology), and Sanders is very left and open. He's for the middle class, and wants to help the majority, raise minimum wage, is pro-choice, and is a good person.

I think the only republican he could really be challenged by (if he wins the primary) is Rand Paul, since he is the leftist republican in my opinion.
I'm pro-Sanders as well, but I don't really think Rand Paul is leftist. Libertarian, certainly, but that's not the same thing at all. Just look at the USSR--- leftist as Marx was hairy, but as un-libertarian as Khrushchev was bald.

If the GOP could manage, by whatever means, to make this ticket happen I think it'd be interesting to see how it stirs the pot:

140315194525-condi-rice-story-top.jpg
Condoleezza Rice​
RandPaul2.jpg
Rand Paul​

My choice would be Marco Rubio. He's the only one besides Jeb that I could actually see as President of The United States.

Rubio vs Sanders. Questioning who is better would be more of a question of their political stance. The two candidates are rather in opposition to each other on most points. It's not like Rubio and Sanders share the same viewpoint but just in differing degrees, their politics seem at odds.

Rice/Rand would be the most formidable ticket the GOP could throw at Hilary. Rice equals her in foreign affairs experience and Rand would take ground for the GOP in social issues they've conceded or not even sought to gain.

Won't happen though, as I don't think the Kochs want a Paul anywhere near the White House.

Nierr:
Rice/Rand would be the most formidable ticket the GOP could throw at Hilary. Rice equals her in foreign affairs experience and Rand would take ground for the GOP in social issues they've conceded or not even sought to gain.

Won't happen though, as I don't think the Kochs want a Paul anywhere near the White House.
Rand has the support of libertarians, and maybe even some liberaltarians, but not of most of the GOP. Bush, Rubio, and Walker are most likely to take the cake, but within that group, it'll be a hard-fought battle.

Though if he does I think it'd make things more interesting and might even be televised a bit. (He is a bit of a show off.)
**Trump talking with his VP and Chief of Staff**
<< "Robin, let them in." >>

**Cabinet staff walks into oval office**

"Looking over recent event, there have been some real stars, and some real failures. Most of you have done really well. They have really worked their tails off. However" gesturing toward a couple members "you three have failed at your task and failed as leaders..." Pointing directly at them "You're Fired, go home."

Ceretis:
Though if he does I think it'd make things more interesting and might even be televised a bit. (He is a bit of a show off.)
**Trump talking with his VP and Chief of Staff**
<< "Robin, let them in." >>

**Cabinet staff walks into oval office**

"Looking over recent event, there have been some real stars, and some real failures. Most of you have done really well. They have really worked their tails off. However" gesturing toward a couple members "you three have failed at your task and failed as leaders..." Pointing directly at them "You're Fired, go home."
:rofl:

I honestly can't say I can predict who will get the nomination. I just hope it's not Bush or Trump.

Back