Vice Delegate for SillyString!

SillyString

TNPer
-
-
Hi folks! As I'm sure you've noticed by now, I'm running for a second term as Vice Delegate. I apologize for putting my campaign up a bit late - I've been a little bit busy IRL for the past few days and so haven't had much time to write it.

I can point to the following accomplishments over the past (mostly) term:
  • The size of the Security Council has grown from seven to ten members, with another three applicants under discussion for a potential size of thirteen, if all admitted. A large, highly endorsed, well-known, and well-liked SC is critical to reclaiming the region in the event of a coup, particularly so following the successful implementation of the WADP. I'm very pleased to see it both getting larger and expanding to newer members, who can bring some fresh voices to the table and fresh eyes to potential threats.
  • I authored a bill that tweaked the way SC admissions are processed, reducing the wait time for readmitting former members, as well as clarifying language about SC oathtaking. We haven't had a chance to see it in action yet, since no members have been removed and readmitted, but I believe we will see improvements.
  • I authored a bill establishing standard procedures for handling various emergencies, which aside from just being a good idea in general, will fix a number of problems that exist in current law. Most of them are more annoying than anything, but there are a few with real implications for regional security, and I'm hoping to see them fixed. It has not gone to vote yet, but I'm confident that it is good legislation.
  • Starting with McM's resignation, I have promptly released WADP awards every two weeks for the remainder of the term - with the exception of last week, since it required more time than I had available with RL commitments. But I certainly intend to release the next volume a week from now. These awards are an integral part of the success of the WADP, and they motivate TNP nations to increase our endorsement saturation and by extension our security.
  • Naturally, I also performed the Vice Delegate's standard daily duties: security checking citizenship applicants, running votes of the SC, opening and participating in various discussions relating to regional security, and so forth.
During the upcoming term, I would like to achieve the following:
  • Create guidelines for security checking applicants for future Vice Delegates to learn from by talking to previous VDs about the methods they used. The goal with this would be for future VDs to add their own methods into the list, so that a running record could be kept. I think this would help assist Vice Delegates who might be less experienced in the various ways there are of poking into a nation's past, and reduce the risk of someone slipping by in the future.
  • Revise the SC procedures. They need to be adjusted to deal with the VD's added duty of security checking, and should clarify the VD's voting rights within the body when the VD is not independently a sitting SC member. I also want to fix up some of the sections regarding suspension and removal, as well as add exceptions to suspension for an SC member who falls below the influence cap due to expending influence while sitting in the delegacy. It's a major oversight that SC members could be punished for doing their job. Additionally, I have in mind a number of tweaks to improve readability and clarify some sections, and I hope to get all of that written up next term.
  • Continue to release WADP Awards on a biweekly schedule, and regularly promote the WADP on the RMB and via mass telegrams. I also hope to work with the delegate, whoever is elected, to develop other events or activities that can promote endorsing SC members and even endoswapping in general.

I hope I have earned your vote, and I would love to answer any questions you might have!

You've been a fantastic Vice Delegate and you'll certainly have my vote.

I do have a few pressing questions, though, if you'd be so kind as to answer them.

What are you most proud of in your tenure as VD so far?

What font is your favorite? Why?

What is the greatest challenge you see facing TNP in the next 6 months?

Do you match your socks, or is it a free-for-all?

Is alliteration important to you?

How long have you been inFECted, and is it VD?

Do you think there could be a better acronym or initialism for WADP?

If you were attacked by a flock of seagulls, what would your gameplan for survival be?

If I asked you too many questions, would you continue to answer more of them?

I have more, but I'll hold off for followups to these. Thank you for your time.

So, that's the election sorted out than:

Tomb
Silly string
Coe

Tell the election commissioners there is no need for the ballot.

Good luck, Asta. You have my full support. It's been wonderful working with you, and I look forward to working with you again in the cabinet if we're both reelected.

~ Tomb

The Democratic Republic of Tomb:
Good luck, Asta. You have my full support. It's been wonderful working with you, and I look forward to working with you again in the cabinet if we're both reelected.

~ Tomb
Great Brigantia:
You've been a great Vice Delegate and you have my vote!
Severisen:
You've been a fantastic Vice Delegate and you'll certainly have my vote.
Thank you! :hug:

I do have a few pressing questions, though, if you'd be so kind as to answer them.
Of course! And I'm sure you know to always completely unfold your garments before pressing them.

What are you most proud of in your tenure as VD so far?
I would say I'm most proud of the emergency bill. I really like legislating solutions to things, and I think this is an important one. If you want to restrict it to technically completed things, then I'd say restarting the WADP awards. I'm very proud of having gotten them out regularly over this term and with reboosting TNP's endorsement saturation through their promotion.
What font is your favorite? Why?
That very much depends on the purpose. For signatures and fancy fonts, I love the ones produced by Jellyka - you can see an example of Saint-Andrew's Queen in the wild in COE's campaign thread. For general reading online, particularly in small print, something sans-serif is the best, and I'm happy with the TNP default (which Identifont tells me is URW Heldestry). In printed text I prefer serif, and I'm really not terribly picky about which one as long as the kerning is done well. Poorly kerned fonts are just terrible.
What is the greatest challenge you see facing TNP in the next 6 months?
I'm not sure about this one! I need to think some more. :)
Do you match your socks, or is it a free-for-all?
Both! I generally prefer to go F4A ( :P ), but even then there are some restrictions. Colors and patterns don't matter, but the socks have to be the same style - soft and fuzzy with soft and fuzzy, toe sock with toe sock, knee high with knee high. It's not that I care what people would think if I wore a knee-high paired with an ankle sock, I just can't stand them feeling different on my legs. Too weird! But of course when I have to look nice or something, I'll wear matching socks.
Is alliteration important to you?
Adept application of alliteration has the ability to assist in poetic prose, but I, pedantically, prefer the pursuit of proper punctuation, actually.
How long have you been inFECted, and is it VD?
Sorry, but the FOI Act doesn't touch HIPAA. ^_^
Do you think there could be a better acronym or initialism for WADP?
Possibly. I do prefer acronyms when possible. But I wouldn't act to change it now, since people already know and love the WADP.
If you were attacked by a flock of seagulls, what would your gameplan for survival be?
Shriek very loudly and carry a big stick. And swing it around like a piñata maniac.
If I asked you too many questions, would you continue to answer more of them?
Yes! I love questions!

flemingovia:
So, that's the election sorted out than:

Tomb
Silly string
Coe

Tell the election commissioners there is no need for the ballot.
I'd like to think not. I think these are going to be close elections.

Asta, good luck. You have my support.

Very well then, a serious question or two: are there any reforms you feel ought to be made to the way the security council has members admitted or the way it operates?

What safeguards do you feel ought to be in place to prevent the security council being infiltrated?

flemingovia:
Are there any reforms you feel ought to be made to the way the security council has members admitted or the way it operates?
Well, the changes I wanted to see have become law, which I think is an improvement. Further changes I think would be beneficial for the SC but which would be implemented via the SC procedures would be adding in a question period for new applicants. Particularly now that we're seeing some newer members apply to join whom the full SC might not be familiar with, I think being able to ask questions and get to know applicants maybe a bit better would be a useful addition.

As for how it operates, broadly I think it goes well, but as I mentioned the SC procedures should, I think, be tweaked to account for some of the changes in other legislation.

What safeguards do you feel ought to be in place to prevent the security council being infiltrated?
I think the existing safeguards are sufficient - namely:
  1. Security check on citizen applicants by the vice delegate
  2. Admin IP/etc check on citizen applicants
  3. Requisite endorsement and influence restrictions before a citizen can apply to the SC
  4. SC discussion and vote on SC applicants
  5. RA discussion and vote on SC applicants, with a higher majority required if the SC rejected the applicant
  6. In the worst case scenario, the SC's legal authority to congregate and discuss on a separate forum entirely, which allows them to exclude members who have gone rogue (and/or catch ones who have)
I think all of that is sufficient. The biggest risk, I think, would be from a rogue delegate who is also secretly working with a rogue SC member (whose identity remains secret), and even that would be handled under the last point via some creative traps.

What do you see as the day-to-day duties of a security council member, and as vice delegate how will you promote their success in those duties?

I think you have done a very good job so far, and I support your candidacy wholeheartedly.

First, I check their given nation to see if it is listed in TNP and their forum account to be sure that they are a citizen. Assuming both are true, I then check their NS history to ensure that their influence is native to TNP. Given that under the current influence spread a native 300 will be Minnow and not anything higher, it's certainly possible for it to be either way around.

If the results of that were clear and sufficient influence were obviously native TNP influence, I would then begin a discussion thread on the applicant in question in the SC forum. If I couldn't be sure on a first glance, I would continue to dig into that nation and consult with others (like you! :tb2: ) to gain additional insight. Ultimately, if I couldn't determine that at least 270 of that were TNP influence, I would have to deny their application until they reached a rank of Vassal (currently located somewhere between 381 and 399 SPDR).

Shall I go further into what happens following an SC discussion? :P

Back