Issue VII Reboot

Discord
COE#7110
Let's try this again and actually write the articles this time. Here are the assignments:

COE: TNP delegacy, Jan-March

Eluvatar/RPI: Changing make-up of the SC, perspectives on role of SC members

Myroria: The NPA's role in the transition

Silly/Tomb: r3n's legacy

Andrew: DD becomes an admin

Bootsie and Llamanation, I couldn't think of specific assignments for you. If you have an idea for an article and get it approved by me, I'll take a look at a draft and see if there's room for it in this issue.

Everyone else, I want first drafts by Friday. If you can't write in that timeframe, let me know right away and I'll shuffle around assignments. We don't necessarily need all five of these stories in Issue VII. We have enough staff that we can have some working on Issue VIII before we even publish Issue VII, but I want to make sure if that's the case, that we make the assignments appropriately. For instance, if Myroria needed to take an extra week or two on his article, I would want him to trade assignments with someone who had an article that was less time-sensitive.

If you get stuck, let me know and I can give you a few leads. If you don't understand your assignment, ask now.

I have an idea, Minister COE, since I am an ambassador to The Allied Republics, I found out that President Salalaxans, of Spiritus, set up in every region that Spiritus has diplomatic relations too, a Lounge. In TAR it is a huge hit (thanks to me :P ), and we have one here. Our Spiritus embassy, is very lonely, I suggested to Pres. Salalaxans that we set up an interview with a staff writer here, to write about the Lounge to receive more publicity. He said, he was scared of interview; I suggested a column, instead, he agreed. How do you think of that idea? Maybe this can go out in the April Issue?

Thanks,
Llama

P.S. This was my old idea, I think it has some potential. :w00t:

Llamas, I applaud your initiative, but a chat thread in an embassy isn't really newsworthy. We're in the business of publicizing things that are worthy of note, new, interesting, and different than what has come before. More importantly, we write about things that affect broad numbers of people or that are relevant to their interests. You admitted yourself that the lounge thread is inactive and commonplace. Sorry, but I'm not gonna give you a green light on that one.

As a reminder to everyone, drafts are due in two days. Post them in the editor's desk as soon as they're ready for review. Again, if you need help, I will be happy to clarify your assignment or give you leads. Definitely talk to anyone who is a subject of the article, and get quotes from them. There's no need for you to do all the talking. Shoot for 400 words, 550 maximum. If you can't cut it down that much, don't worry - that's what I'm here for ;)

Oh that's fine Minister. I :clap: (applaude) how much work you do for TNP.

Yes, but try to avoid making it three mini-articles about each one. Try to think big picture, and how the cabinet will be different because of the changes. Look for connections and trends between the three. Overall, the questions you should be answering are not "who are these new people in the cabinet?" but rather "how will these resignations and appointments affect the citizens of TNP?"

[17:54:11] <Eluvatar> COE: I'd like to delay writing my piece on TNPSC to write a dossier on [the Lazarus situation]
[17:54:25] <Eluvatar> may I ask RPI's help with that?
[17:54:33] <Eluvatar> It would be exactly the same journalism skills being developed I think
[17:54:54] <Eluvatar> We could also use the research to write a shorter TNL piece about Lazarus possibly

Okay, I was able to get some help from RPI and I do have a great big brief. I'll try to turn it into TNL article form today or tomorrow.

RPI, would you be available to help with that?

Eluvatar:
Okay, I was able to get some help from RPI and I do have a great big brief. I'll try to turn it into TNL article form today or tomorrow.

RPI, would you be available to help with that?
Yes, I can. I never had time to find any dates on that document about Lazarene autocoup; do you still need help with that?

It's my personal preference to make sure to get facts right, and cite them when sensible.

I think TNL articles tend not to be full of citation links, so that may not be necessary.

Mr. Minister,

My story became old and out-of-date, can I get a new assignment?

With 5 days left in the term, I think it would be unwise for me to try to get this back on track at this point. Whether I win the speaker election or not, I won't be continuing in the cabinet next term, and depending on who the new minister is, there might be significant changes to how things are run around here. Sit tight for now and treat the next guy nice.

Back