Minister of Culture
-
Pronouns
They/Them
TNP Nation
Guslantis
Discord
bootsie
This is overdue. Let's get this thing written and over with so we may operate properly. I'll start on the Preamble, the whole basis for the Treaty. I'd like the rest of you to come up with some ideas on international territory, voting, application, and the like.

It is my opinion that applications should be approved by the chairperson, and subject to rejection by two-thirds of the existing members. And vice-versa; if the chairperson rejects an application, the members should be able to approve it by a two thirds vote.

I think that the treaty should assign an officer to head the NPTO peacekeeping forces.

With regards to voting, I think that all officers should be elected by a majority vote, not a plurality vote.

plembobria:
With regards to voting, I think that all officers should be elected by a majority vote, not a plurality vote.
How would an instance in which no candidate attains a majority be dealt with?

Also, since the Preamble is kind of like the thesis statement of an essay, I believe it is hard to come up with the Charter's contents without it. Do you know what you plan to include in the Preamble?

International territory we deeply need to consider. Is the NPTO the size you want, practically the size of Lesotho? Or is it my ideal, the size of a large building complex in Augustus Town? Or perhaps, is there an intermediate size, perhaps as big as the DU HQ? And what about the proposal by someone whose name I forgot to create our own international island or some other international land that isn't directly taken from a member nation?

Also, I would like to re-open the Application Thread after the Charter's ratification; if the charter and the Chairwoman's Office permits of course.

plembobria:
A runoff between the top two candidates.
I'd assume there would not be an abstain option on the ballot, otherwise there could still be the possibility of failing to achieve a majority vote the second time.

Syrixia:
International territory we deeply need to consider. Is the NPTO the size you want, practically the size of Lesotho? Or is it my ideal, the size of a large building complex in Augustus Town? Or perhaps, is there an intermediate size, perhaps as big as the DU HQ? And what about the proposal by someone whose name I forgot to create our own international island or some other international land that isn't directly taken from a member nation?
I don't know what you're asking here. :huh:

Syrixia:

Also, I would like to re-open the Application Thread after the Charter's ratification; if the charter and the Chairwoman's Office permits of course.
Yeah...sorry about that...just had to cut you off on those applications...

I personally believe, without a doubt, that Guslantis should hold the headquarters through international territory. Now, I get the argument that "Guslantis having the headquarters makes Guslantis holding power." However, my argument is that UNHQ is in New York City, does that make the U.S. have power? No. It's just where they chose to have it to pay homage to Woodrow Wilson's idea that created both the League of Nations and the United Nations. I hope to have two more minor headquarters in the cities of Balamb and Modino Maro, however that will be discussed later.

Also, here's the Preamble rough draft:

Preamble:
Our nations, gathered here on this day in April come together to ratify the charter of a new peace treaty organization. This organization, hereby known as the North Pacific Treaty Organization or NPTO (nip-toe) shall represent peace through its actions and through its words, maintaining peace whatever the cost. We will not engage in conflict with the other members of NPTO by air, land, or sea. We will protect the other nations in their time of conflict. We will only use our armies for the good of the other member nations, and not against the other nations. We will break the barriers between governmental types and work together. Our organization will not be the battle ground between dictatorships and democracies. Instead, it will be the shield of peace surrounding the nation we shall protect.

I'd suggest the following changes to the Preamble:
Preamble:
Our nations, gathered here on this <date the Charter is ratified> day in [April] come together to ratify the charter of a new peace treaty organization. This organization, hereby known as the North Pacific Treaty Organization or NPTO. (nip-toe)The NPTO shall represent peace through its actions and through its words declarations, and shall be charged with the duty of maintaining peace whatever the cost between its member nations. will not All member nations of the NPTO pledge to never engage in conflict with the any other members of the NPTO, by air, land, or sea. We will to protect the other member nations in their time of need, conflict. We will and to only use our armies for the good of the other member nations, and not against the other nations. We will break the barriers between governmental types and work together; our organization will not be the battle ground between dictatorships and democracies., but instead, it will be the shield of peace surrounding the its member nations that we shall protect.

RPI:
Preamble:
Our nations, gathered here on this <date the Charter is ratified> day in [April] come together to ratify the charter of a new peace treaty organization. This organization, hereby known as the North Pacific Treaty Organization or NPTO. (nip-toe)The NPTO shall represent peace through its actions and through its words declarations, and shall be charged with the duty of maintaining peace whatever the cost between its member nations. will not All member nations of the NPTO pledge to never engage in conflict with the any other members of the NPTO, by air, land, or sea. We will to protect the other member nations in their time of need, conflict. We will and to only use our armies for the good of the other member nations, and not against the other nations. We will break the barriers between governmental types and work together; our organization will not be the battle ground between dictatorships and democracies., but instead, it will be the shield of peace surrounding the its member nations that we shall protect.

I like Bootsie's. It's more grandiloquent.

plembobria:
RPI:
Preamble:
I like Bootsie's. It's more grandiloquent.
I'd have to argue that mine is, plus mine fixes some grammatical errors.

I agree with Bootsie on international territory but it really needs downsizing. MEIN GOTT.

And RPI, I like your preamble better. It's more eloquent and more descriptive. (No offense Boots)

I agree that mine had grammatical errors, but some of the charter's preamble was adapted from the Treaty of Pigletville (2014), which you crossed out near the bottom in red. (Land, air, sea part is all the Treaty of Pigletville.) Also, I'd like the pronunciation of NPTO to be included somewhere in the charter, if not here, along with the fact that NPTO is used like a name instead of a noun, dropping "the" when it becomes an acronym. So, when used in a sentence it should be the North Pacific Treaty Organization, or NPTO. Also, I need someone really good to describe our flag and seals in great detail, such as the United Nations Flag is very specific.

Bootsie:
I agree that mine had grammatical errors, but some of the charter's preamble was adapted from the Treaty of Pigletville (2014), which you crossed out near the bottom in red. (Land, air, sea part is all the Treaty of Pigletville.) Also, I'd like the pronunciation of NPTO to be included somewhere in the charter, if not here, along with the fact that NPTO is used like a name instead of a noun, dropping "the" when it becomes an acronym. So, when used in a sentence it should be the North Pacific Treaty Organization, or NPTO. Also, I need someone really good to describe our flag and seals in great detail, such as the United Nations Flag is very specific.
I didn't know that you wanted NPTO to be used like that :shrug: Sorry.

As for the land air and sea part, I had personally thought that it was a bit redundant, as it had already said that we will not engage in conflict.

As I created the NPTO flag, I can handle this one. The dove is the symbol for the NPTO's goal of peace and security, while the circle and cross symbolize the NPTO's fortitude and will to never give up to evil. The blue and white colors of the flag also mean fortitude/willpower and peace respectively.

Let's hope so. That said, Cronaal, you haven't commented yet; what do you think and what would you like to contribute?

Will the treaty have a mutual-defense clause? It may be helpful as a deterrent against attacks.

RPI or someone that is good with constructing and wording, could you compile the Preamble and Article One (The Flag and Seal) into a document. The members are also suggested to submit articles.

After discussing and debating on the decision of Plembobria, Parliament has resolved to not support any mutual defense clauses that are brought up on behalf of Syrixia, and, due respect, is disgusted with Trinster at this suggestion.

It is not in the interest of freedom for member states to be forced to defend fellow member states in conflict. Just because they are in NPTO does not mean they have to go into conflicts without their say in it. If there is a conflict with NPTO member states involved, some member states may not want to go to war. Forcing them to puts a strain on their economy, causes tensions, and limits the freedom of such NPTO member states.

Bootsie:
RPI or someone that is good with constructing and wording, could you compile the Preamble and Article One (The Flag and Seal) into a document. The members are also suggested to submit articles.
Sure thing.

While I'm not good at officially-ish article formatting (Which is why I haven't officially displayed Syrixia's constitution yet) Here is my proposal for what we should include in Article 2:

Member Admission

Powers of the Chairman and Deputy Chairman

Formal NPTO Policies

I'd also like to include a section on our headquarters in Augustus Town, and potential official offices in the Syrixian capital of Balamb, and the Malvadian capital of Modino Maro. Both of these cities are economically sound, and both are crucial to the survival of NPTO.

I don't feel any sub-offices are necessary. All that is needed is a large international territory in Guslantis, near Augustus Town. Having offices in the two founding nations and one of the first and most important member states (Guslantis, Syrixia, Malvad respectively) would seem egotistic and unfair. However, as I modeled the idea of NPTO after NATO and the UN, the HQ in Guslantis is necessary.

Let's not go farther than that. The notion of an NPTO HQ in Guslantis has already been criticized for the above reasons.

Preamble:
I'd suggest the following edit:
...and shall be charged with the duty of maintaining peace whatever the cost between its member nationsAND THE OTHER NATIONS THAT INHABIT THE NORTH PACIFIC.

I would also suggest having a smaller, DU-island-sized HQ.
I would be in favour of a mutual defence clause.

I was mainly thinking as a clause to urge people to assist in DEFENDING their allies, invasions and such would not be allowed under the clause and it would not be forced, only recommended.

I agree that NPTO headquarters need to be kept small. The map claim is way too big for it and in the wrong place. I will get a better map claim drawn. RPI, the flag is in the opening post of the NPTO thread.

I can possibly draw the map claim and submit it. And I hope you like the flag RPI; I made it :)

Ahh, okay. Thank you, I'll try and get all the stuff we have so far compiled into a document hopefully sometime tonight. Yeah, Syrixia, it's good :D

Thank you Syrixia. And as a side note, Augustus Town is not where the claim is on the map. It along the eastern shoreline in the little "dip" cut into the country that resembles a harbor of sorts.

Sweet lord, I totally forgot to do the claim. I'll have it done by 10:20 PM EST today.

gusmap.png

So, can I get some comments on the location and size of NPTO HQ?

Looks exactly like how I envisioned it, and it's right where Augustus Town is. But perhaps I'm biased, I did make the pic after all.

Any other thoughts?

Back