The Kitchen Cabinet

Discord
COE#7110
From the government that brought you the Cabinet AMAs now comes:

The Kitchen Cabinet
Find out what the government's cooking up behind closed doors!

This is a series of one-day events wherein the members of the Cabinet will be posting pictures of the food they eat, in the interest of government transparency. On a day convenient for them, each Minister will be participating in The Kitchen Cabinet, posting a picture of each meal they eat that day and a description of their food. An in-game dispatch for this series of events (and a schedule) can be found here.

Today we go inside McMasterdonia's kitchen, and find out what Australian food looks like!

OKAY, here I am.

[img=300,300]http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/mcmasterdonia/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps1c19fe54.jpg[/img]
Here we have vegemite and cheese toasted on homemade crusty bread! Yum!

[img=300,300]http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/mcmasterdonia/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps95787273.jpg[/img]
For lunch we have quiche, with zucchini, capscium, spinach, and kale filling!

[img=300,300]http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/mcmasterdonia/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps594d877a.jpg[/img]
Here is a huge rib eye steak, with chips, and kale/spinach/capsicum/onion/zuchini salad. The sort of meal you would find in an Aussie pub ;)

And because this kind of crossed two days for me:

[img=300,300]http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/mcmasterdonia/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsa16d9b47.jpg[/img]
There we have crayfish served with a garlic and truffle sauce, and a nice greek salad in the background.

Mmmm.... That sounds and looks pretty good, McM. I should start trying out eating Australian cuisine.

~ Tomb

Since Mcm's schedule and mine didn't quite sync up to start this event off, rather than Malvad going today as originally scheduled, he will be posting tomorrow, the 17th!

The pub food looks amazing.

mcmasterdonia:
I think McM deserves a medal for even so much as nearing that...substance. That or TNP really needs a new hospital with a psychiatric ward...

Choices in cuisine aside, I've never heard of capsicum before. Is it sort of an Australian specialty, or is it just another name for something we uncultured North-Americans may already be familiar with?

It's the aussie name for what we might call bell peppers, Sasten. I was curious too, so I looked it up :P

EDIT: ninja'd by several minutes. I guess that's what I get for using the active topics page and opening them all in tabs...

@COE it isn't just an Aussie name, we in Singapore use it too. It could be a British English name.

Lord Nwahs:
@COE it isn't just an Aussie name, we in Singapore use it too. It could be a British English name.
My father's side of the family is British. I've never heard any of them refer to them as "capsicum", they just call them "peppers". I looked up the etymology of the name; common use of the title "capsicum" appears to be a mostly Indo-Australo-Pacific tendency. English is weird like that.

PaulWallLibertarian42:
Will you come be the Alfred to my Batman? (Be my butler)
I don't think so! I enjoy cooking as a hobby, but I don't think I'd like to do it for a living. I used to think that I would like to be a Chef, but I decided that my goals were aligned to a different career path.

Crushing Our Enemies:
Since Mcm's schedule and mine didn't quite sync up to start this event off, rather than Malvad going today as originally scheduled, he will be posting tomorrow, the 17th!

The pub food looks amazing.

I did make that food at home, fyi. But it is the sort of thing you would find in a pub

SillyString:
mcmasterdonia:
[img=300,300]http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/mcmasterdonia/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps1c19fe54.jpg[/img]
mcmasterdonia:
Here we have vegemite
mcmasterdonia:
D:

Keep an open mind - have you tried it? When you grow up on the stuff, I guess it just becomes part of who you are. I really like the taste, and I miss it when I don't have it in a while.

Really it just tastes salty - and the smell is amazing :)

Lord Nwahs:
You learn something new everyday I guess :)

Peppers makes me think of those little feta stuffed things, or even peppercorns. Capsicum sounds more sophisticated, I think ;)

I always knew them as Capsicums. Pepper always referred to that powderish substance you add to soups or porridges.

mcmasterdonia:
Keep an open mind - have you tried it? When you grow up on the stuff, I guess it just becomes part of who you are. I really like the taste, and I miss it when I don't have it in a while.

Really it just tastes salty - and the smell is amazing :)
[flash=250,210]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVKPrQv1H8I[/flash]

Because of the RL-nature of this event, and the fact that it's the holiday season, the schedule for this is changing somewhat. Instead of every minister posting within a week of each other, we're going to make this non-consecutive, and allow each minister to go on the most convenient day for them. Today will be The Democratic Republic of Tomb, and I will be going on the 22nd. I will announce more dates as they are chosen. Stay tuned for Tomb's breakfast!

Hello TNPers,

I hope my post finds you all doing well this morning/afternoon/evening depending on where you live. As you all know, today is my Kitchen Cabinet Day. I am pleased and honored to be sharing my humble little breakfast with you all. And so to cut the anticipation, I hereby present the Tombian Breakfast! :)

Picture:
ynpmul6.png

In here, in the main (and only) course, you have two sunny-side up eggs cooked with minced meet, tomato sauce and tomatoes, garlic, and onions. On the sides, I have sour pickles, a tomato (which I haven't sliced yet), pita bread, and big mug (you may call it jug :P) of chocolate milk. On a side note, across the table sits my grandmother (her hands just had to be in the picture). She's wonderful though and every time I go over she feeds me up. And she gets the credit for cooking the meal.
Thanks, grandma! ;)

And so there you have it, TNP. A Tombian Breakfast!

~ Tomb

The Democratic Republic of Tomb:
Hello TNPers,

I hope my post finds you all doing well this morning/afternoon/evening depending on where you live. As you all know, today is my Kitchen Cabinet Day. I am pleased and honored to be sharing my humble little breakfast with you all. And so to cut the anticipation, I hereby present the Tombian Breakfast! :)

Picture:
ynpmul6.png

In here, in the main (and only) course, you have two sunny-side up eggs cooked with minced meet, tomato sauce and tomatoes, garlic, and onions. On the sides, I have sour pickles, a tomato (which I haven't sliced yet), pita bread, and big mug (you may call it jug :P) of chocolate milk. On a side note, across the table sits my grandmother (her hands just had to be in the picture). She's wonderful though and every time I go over she feeds me up. And she gets the credit for cooking the meal.
Thanks, grandma! ;)

~ Tomb
You're making my mouth water...

Syrixia:
The Democratic Republic of Tomb:
Hello TNPers,

Picture:
ynpmul6.png

Thanks, grandma! ;)

~ Tomb
You're making my mouth water...
lol, I am glad it sounds and looks pleasing, Syrixia :)

Alright TNPers, it's lunch time at my place. Of course, the credit to this recipe also goes to my grand-mother. So a round of applause to her! But not to keep our waiters waiting, I hereby present a Tombian lunch:

y4pAD5A.jpg
In here we have rice cooked with tomatoes, peas (the green stuff), very thin potato chunks, and yes, there's a big chicken in the middle of the whole dish. Unfortunately, your friend Tomb is not going to be having it all to himself as we are expecting guests to come over. And so on that note, I leave my dear TNPers to enjoy the image and description.

~ Tomb

If this is what President Tomb's grandmother did, let's get her a free ticket to Syrixia so she can teach a cooking class here or something; I am literally drowning because of how much my mouth is watering.

Syrixia:
If this is what President Tomb's grandmother did, let's get her a free ticket to Syrixia so she can teach a cooking class here or something; I am literally drowning because of how much my mouth is watering.
I am glad you like it, bud!
And yep, that's grandma's cooking. I can send her your way. She's a great cook but a great whiner, just a warning :P

~ Tomb

Once again TNPers, I come to you with another meal. This time it's my dinner/dessert. As you all can see, I was stuffed up with breakfast and lunch, so my stomach can't stand anything too heavy at the moment, and so I am going to be eating, or rather already ate, a slice of chocolate cake right now.

This is the picture:
rVOCdDX.jpg
In here, you have a home made chocolate cake. Our neighbors actually brought it over from their small bakery. And yeah... I couldn't wait, I just had to have a slice. :P

I hope you all have enjoyed my Cabinet Kitchen day. Thank you for staying tuned and for all comments.

~ Tomb

mcmasterdonia:
OKAY, here I am.

You mean you don't use Marmite?!

Kangaroo goes better with Marmite. ;)

Thanks for the great posts, Tomb! I'm jealous of your food.

I'm happy to announce that Punk D will be participating in the Kitchen Cabinet on December 25th! :)

Crushing Our Enemies:
Thanks for the great posts, Tomb! I'm jealous of your food.

I'm happy to announce that Punk D will be participating in the Kitchen Cabinet on December 25th! :)
Is Punk D even a minister anymore? He lost his minister status last month and I'm not seeing any oath since then, or reappointment by the Delegate...

I'll look into it.

Meanwhile, today is my Kitchen Cabinet day! Behold, the lunch I have prepared:
CAM00568_zps627b212a.jpg

What we have here is barbeque chicken pizza on naan bread, with red onions, bacon, and (on one half) pineapple. The reason pineapple is on one half is that my girlfriend is weird and doesn't like pineapple on her pizza. So what I did was put pineapple on half of both of ours, so that if she tried it and didn't like it, I could trade my non-pineapple half for her pineapple half. As it turns out, she heartily enjoyed all of it, and so did I :)

Stay tuned for dinner out!

That looks great, COE. I am gonna have to try it out soon. I like pizza, and pineapples are great as well.

Very delicious. I can't wait for dinner.

~ Tomb

She ended up quite liking the pineapple, actually.

For dinner, we went out to a nice place and got tapas. We started with a cold one: Carpaccio di Carne. It's thinly sliced beef tenderloin with shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano, sliced celery hearts & cremini mushrooms, finished with a light drizzle of lemon vinaigrette. Because sometimes boyfriends are weird too, I gave my date all the mushrooms. Here it is:
CAM00569_zps2279683e.jpg

Then we were brought two more small plates: Zucchini Purse and Shrimp with Garlic. The Zucchini Purse is thinly sliced grilled zucchini wrapped around herb-whipped goat cheese and roasted peppers, enveloped in phyllo, baked and finished with bechamel sauce. The Shrimp with Garlic is exactly what it sounds like: sauteed shrimp in a garlic-white wine butter sauce with some diced tomato and a little bread. Here they are:
CAM005701_zps6d8d7867.jpg
CAM00571_zpsc690b9eb.jpg

Two more were so appetizing that I forgot to take pictures until we'd already scarfed them down: a crab cake dish with crispy strings of sweet potato, and blackened salmon with artichokes in a pesto sauce. Here are the remains:
CAM00573_zps7e8d2521.jpg
CAM00572_zps98b79f84.jpg

We had one more small plate: a small filet mignon with mashed potatoes. Like the two above, I forgot to take the picture until after we had finished, and our waiter took the plate away before I remembered! And we shoveled our dessert down too, all thoughts of NationStates and the Kitchen Cabinet driven from our minds by chocolate. My date in particular goes into an altered mental state when chocolate is in her field of vision. I am not immune to this phenomenon myself.

That's it for dinner! We don't splurge on a nice dinner very often, but we got a really great discount through a professional organization I'm a member of. Stay tuned later tonight, when I mix up some tasty adult beverages! :)

This is quite enlightening. I thank the Cabinet for sharing. Your girlfriend sounds like a lucky gal, Enemy Crusher.

Or maybe you're the lucky one :P

And now the drinks, as promised. Mixing cocktails is becoming a bit of a hobby of mine. I made three rounds of drinks:

CAM00575_zpsdc811012.jpg
Daiquiris: not the fruity rum slushies that some may be familiar with. These are classic daiquiris - light rum, lime juice, and sugar syrup, shaken with crushed ice. Delicious!

CAM00576_zps81827298.jpg
Old Fashioned Southern Belle: This is a modification on the Old Fashioned, typically made with rye or bourbon. Rather than rye or bourbon, what we had on hand was sweet tea flavored moonshine. I mixed a shot of that with a muddled mixture of orange, bitters, club soda, and sugar syrup, then stirred with ice cubes and strained. Fresh orange is the key!

CAM00578_zpsfa4c1fff.jpg
Vanilla vodka, coconut rum, and ginger ale: exactly what it sounds like.

Back