WA 101 - Sign ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

r3naissanc3r

TNPer
-
-
This course is no longer accepting registrations. You are welcome to browse the class material, which are posted inside this forum.

I am delighted to announce that, as part of our collaboration through the WALL, Mousebumples has agreed to teach her WA 101 class here in The North Pacific.

Mouse is currently a NationStates moderator, the Delegate of Europeia, and the most prolific WA author in NationStates. She is also widely regarded as one of the utmost experts on WA matters currently in the game. Mouse has already taught WA 101 twice in Europeia, with great success. A third iteration of the class is currently being taught there, and will now also be offered in parallel here in TNP.

The class is an introduction to the WA course, and is meant to provide you with knowledge of WA mechanics, and skills for evaluating, drafting, and eventually passing your own WA legislation. As a sneak peek, here is the syllabus from the previous offering of the class:
Past syllabus:
  • Week One: An introductory overview of the UN -> WA -> GA process
  • Week Two: NatSov/IntFed Paradigm & the Reasonable Nation Theory
  • Week Three: An introduction to the (yes, complicated) GA ruleset
  • Week Four: An introduction to the many, many GA proposal categories
  • Week Five: Why Repeal?
  • Week Six: How to evaluate GA proposals
  • Week Seven: The Beauty of Brainstorming
  • Week Eight: Writing Your First GA Proposal/Repeal Draft
  • Week Nine: Differences in SC Proposals
  • Week Ten: Effects of Proposals
  • Week Eleven: How R/D Gameplay Affects the SC, and Vice Versa
  • Week Twelve: Rules of the SC, What to Include When Drafting
  • Week Thirteen: Argumentation in SC Proposals
  • Week Fourteen: Gameplay vs. Roleplay in the SC
  • Week Fifteen: Campaigning for a Proposal
If you are interested in taking the class, please complete the following form in this thread:

Code:
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Why you want to take WA 101:[/b]
[b]Have you ever tried your hand at passing WA legislation before? How did that go?[/b]
[b]How often would you like new lectures to be posted?[/b] (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.)
[b]How often would you like new coursework to be posted?[/b] (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.)
[b]Would you prefer to only audit the class?[/b] (i.e., only read the lectures without doing any courseword)
We'll leave this thread open for four-five days before the class gets started. Latecomers are certainly welcome to try to play "catchup" and take past coursework, after the fact.

I'm mainly interested in the GA part, but I'll sign up for it all. A great idea.

Name:
Why you want to take WA 101: To learn more about the General Assembly & where to start.
Have you ever tried your hand at passing WA legislation before? How did that go? I have passed three security council resolutions.
How often would you like new lectures to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.) Twice a week
How often would you like new coursework to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.)
Once a week
Would you prefer to only audit the class? (i.e., only read the lectures without doing any courseword)
I'm not sure. I'll leave that up to our experienced teacher.

Name: Acoustic Siberia
Why you want to take WA 101: There is much I don't understand about the WA and am eager to learn.
Have you ever tried your hand at passing WA legislation before? How did that go? Yes, I have written about 20 resolutions and been involved in drafting or campaigning for many others, plus many failed efforts.
How often would you like new lectures to be posted? No preference.
How often would you like new coursework to be posted? Not more than once a week.
Would you prefer to only audit the class? I won't complete any coursework for any SC-related classes but am happy to do so for those about the WA.

Name: The Democratic Republic of Tomb (You may call me Tomb)
Why you want to take WA 101: I want to learn more about the General Assembly and how to write and propose Legislation.
Have you ever tried your hand at passing WA legislation before? How did that go? Well, I have, but every time I wrote something I ended up not proposing it to the Forums or the WA.
How often would you like new lectures to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.) Twice a week
How often would you like new coursework to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.) Once a week
Would you prefer to only audit the class? (i.e., only read the lectures without doing any courseword)
Like McM said I think I will also be leaving that up to the mentor.

Name: Lord Nwahs/Olvey/Shawn/Not-Meerkat
Why you want to take WA 101: Learning more about various lines of thought, and not being so confused whenever going on the GA/SC forums.
Have you ever tried your hand at passing WA legislation before? How did that go? As a different nation years ago. I think this was what came out of it. :P
How often would you like new lectures to be posted? Every week :D
How often would you like new coursework to be posted? Every fortnight?
Would you prefer to only audit the class? I really don't mind coursework, but it does clash with my other RL schoolwork, so that takes priority.

Glad to see so much interest, guys! I'll look to post up lesson one later this week sometime (probably Thursday, but we'll see how my work schedule plays out), and then it'll probably be at least 2 weeks until the next class is posted - mostly because I've got some vacay coming up.

Anyhow, I just wanted to give you a head's up on that front - and we can always "re-evaluate" the frequency once you see the first lesson. :)

Name: Andrew
Why you want to take WA 101: I would like to understand the WA more better than how I currently do
Have you ever tried your hand at passing WA legislation before? How did that go? Nope
How often would you like new lectures to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.) I check in daily so I dont mind when, but atleast often or I might forget to look :P
How often would you like new coursework to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.) several time a week (3 or 4)
Would you prefer to only audit the class? (i.e., only read the lectures without doing any courseword) naah, coursework might be fun :)

Name: Gladio
Why you want to take WA 101: I want to know more about the SC/GA.
Have you ever tried your hand at passing WA legislation before? How did that go? no I haven't tried to pass a WA legislation before.
How often would you like new lectures to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.) Every Week.
How often would you like new coursework to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.) Every Week.
Would you prefer to only audit the class? (i.e., only read the lectures without doing any courseword) I'll leave this to the mentor/teacher.

Name: Kialga
Why you want to take WA 101: I would like to know how to begin in drafting and passing legislation
Have you ever tried your hand at passing WA legislation before? How did that go? I have never tried
How often would you like new lectures to be posted? Every week
How often would you like new coursework to be posted? Every week
Would you prefer to only audit the class? Should coursework clash with my real-life schoolwork, I might need to.

Name:dmb615 (dmb is more than fine)
Why you want to take WA 101: I am interested in writing some proposals and interested in learning more about the WA and SC.
Have you ever tried your hand at passing WA legislation before? How did that go?I have never tried but I would like to try after the class.
How often would you like new lectures to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.)Every week
How often would you like new coursework to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.)Every week
Would you prefer to only audit the class? (i.e., only read the lectures without doing any courseword) It depends on how much schoolwork I have.

Name: Malvad
Why you want to take WA 101: Because I know nothing about the WA
Have you ever tried your hand at passing WA legislation before? How did that go? nope
How often would you like new lectures to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.) twice a week
How often would you like new coursework to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.) once a week
Would you prefer to only audit the class? (i.e., only read the lectures without doing any courseword) depends on RL schoolwork

Name: Matilda, or Mattie
Why you want to take WA 101: I would like to read proposals with a more informed eye.
Have you ever tried your hand at passing WA legislation before? How did that go? No
How often would you like new lectures to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.) Weekly
How often would you like new coursework to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.) Weekly
Would you prefer to only audit the class? (i.e., only read the lectures without doing any coursework) I want to participate in coursework, but rl right now dictates audit only :tb3:

Name: Alunya
Why you want to take WA 101: Primarily I would like a better understanding of what effects GA proposals have upon game parameters, and how to evaluate such proposals in that light. But I could get my claws into the other stuff too (no offense to Mousies...)
Have you ever tried your hand at passing WA legislation before? How did that go? I have not, and other than any assigned coursework, I'm not likely to do so.
How often would you like new lectures to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.) Once per week should be sufficient.
How often would you like new coursework to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.) Once per week should be sufficient.
Would you prefer to only audit the class? (i.e., only read the lectures without doing any coursework) No. Practice makes perfect.

>^,,^<
Alunya

Name: Elegarth
Why you want to take WA 101: Cuz I think is time I take a look in there :p
Have you ever tried your hand at passing WA legislation before? How did that go?: Someone else handled it, I just contributed with ideas.
How often would you like new lectures to be posted?: Weekly would be nice
How often would you like new coursework to be posted?: Weekly too?
Would you prefer to only audit the class?: It would depend on how RL work develops

Name: plembobria
Why you want to take WA 101: I'm new around here.
Have you ever tried your hand at passing WA legislation before? How did that go? Yes. I'll probably withdraw it, though.
How often would you like new lectures to be posted? Weekly
How often would you like new coursework to be posted? Weekly
Would you prefer to only audit the class? Yes

Name: Corporal Clegg
Why you want to take WA 101: I am interested in the WA an possibly make a proposal
Have you ever tried your hand at passing WA legislation before? How did that go? No. So far, I have only voted in proposals.
How often would you like new lectures to be posted? Every week
Would you prefer to only audit the class? Yes, please.

Hey, guys - just a quick update from me. Sorry that things have stalled on my end, but RL has been kicking my butt as of late. I'm hoping things will settle a bit next month, so I'll look to get new lessons posted in another week or so.

Thanks for your understanding!

Name: Joe Ronald Martin Nat-Khan English (Just call me, Joe).
Why you want to take WA 101: I want to take WA 101 because I like and want to learn new things.
Have you ever tried your hand at passing WA legislation before? How did that go?: No, I not done any yet. So I want to learn first.
How often would you like new lectures to be posted?: Every week?
How often would you like new coursework to be posted?: Every week?
Would you prefer to only audit the class? No maybe? (I don't about it yet.)

Name: ColossusKing ( you can call me King or Colossus idc)
Why you want to take WA 101: I want to learn more about WA and GA, as well as how to write legislature
Have you ever tried your hand at passing WA legislation before? How did that go? I have never tried
How often would you like new lectures to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.) Every Week
How often would you like new coursework to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.) Up to instructor,
Would you prefer to only audit the class? (i.e., only read the lectures without doing any courseword) I want to try and do the coursework.

Name: A Lost Soul
Why you want to take WA 101: I don't know much about WA, how to word etc.
Have you ever tried your hand at passing WA legislation before? How did that go? I have done Model United Nations IRL but it was just a doss and was a one time thing that I didn't really enjoy, I found it boring and now wish I'd paid more attention... I get that legislature is written in a strange present tense 'acknowledging', 'recognizing' etc.
How often would you like new lectures to be posted? Twice a day if you could, lol!
How often would you like new coursework to be posted? Every 3 days.
Would you prefer to only audit the class? I would sort of like this as a safety net so I'm not too scared if I am a bit late with one but I sure will try to do the work.

Ivo:
I was not aware that this was still continuing.
It really was never discontinued to begin with. But it did get stagnate for a while.
I am talking about the WALL over with Mouse and we are likely to continue the lessons.

However, for the time being, there are three lessons that are posted that new members could feel free to read and send me the assignments for them if they wish.

Please stay tuned for more news on this coming soon.

~ Tomb

Only three thus far? Well, in that case, I might actually try to get caught up over the weekend.

Excellent idea, Alta. And if you have any questions, feel free to let me know or you can also send Sep (Minister of WA Affairs) a PM and he will explain and answer any inquiries to you.

~ Tomb

The Democratic Republic of Tomb:
I am talking about the WALL over with Mouse
There are four regions in WALL. Will they be participating in these "talks" about an organization of which they are signatory founding members?

The talks were more both of us expressing an interest in ensuring that WALL continues and hopefully becomes more operational in the coming weeks/months. We didn't talk about "changing" anything, and these are the same sort of talks that you (on behalf of IDU) or Rach (on behalf of Balder) would likely also be welcome to have with any of the other signatory regions' representatives regarding WALL.

Anyhow, Tomb speaks the truth - I do want to get this restarted, but it's unlikely for any new lessons to be posted before Easter, at the earliest, and it may be another week or so after that. However, stay tuned for more lessons!

Name:Cheese man, or Yayness (my nation name)
Why you want to take WA 101:I want to learn how to do things in NS so that I can be more involved.
Have you ever tried your hand at passing WA legislation before? How did that go?Yes, but I had no idea what I was doing. It went badly. I am working on a new proposal right now.
How often would you like new lectures to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.)Every week.
How often would you like new coursework to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.)Every week.
Would you prefer to only audit the class? (i.e., only read the lectures without doing any coursework)No, I want to do the work.

Yay for wanting to do the work!

I'm planning to post new lessons on either Tuesdays or Wednesdays, depending on my work schedule, so look for the next lesson to be posted next week. (and thanks to A Lost Soul for sending me assignments for past lessons by PM - I'll work to reply to you soon!)

Name: CJ Arceo (Nation: Heraldine)
Why you want to take WA 101: I want to discuss resolutions in WA.
Have you ever tried your hand at passing WA legislation before? How did that go?Yes, it's still pending though.
How often would you like new lectures to be posted? every week (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.)
How often would you like new coursework to be posted? every week (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.)
Would you prefer to only audit the class? No (i.e., only read the lectures without doing any courseword)

I hope I'm not too late .

Name: stalin1953
Why you want to take WA 101: I want to learn how to write legislation
Have you ever tried your hand at passing WA legislation before? How did that go? Never tried
How often would you like new lectures to be posted? Every day
Would you prefer to only audit the class? (i.e., only read the lectures without doing any courseword) Only read the lectures

Hey, guys, sorry for the delay. A variety of Real Life forces have interfered over the past few weeks, but if there's still interest, I'm definitely interested in continuing the WA 101 lessons! Look for the next lesson next week - probably on Tuesday! :D

Name: Thunderboy
Why you want to take WA 101: I want to take WA 101 because I like learning new things, also it is probably the best way to learn about the World Assembly.
Have you ever tried your hand at passing WA legislation before? How did that go? I've never really tried as I don't really know how to make WA legislation, I have done voting though.
How often would you like new lectures to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.) I don't really mind.
How often would you like new coursework to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.) I don't really mind.
Would you prefer to only audit the class? (i.e., only read the lectures without doing any courseword) I will probably do the coursework if I have time.

Name: The Undead Union (my regular screen name being FrozenTopHat
Why you want to take WA 101: I don't really know. I do want to be in the WA ministry, though. I ought to do something with my free time.
Have you ever tried your hand at passing WA legislation before? How did that go? No. As it stands, I don't know what I would bother changing in its current status.
How often would you like new lectures to be posted? I don't know if you plan on posting new lectures, but weekly or so would be best.
How often would you like new coursework to be posted? With the lectures; weekly if it is going to be posted.
Would you prefer to only audit the class? I'll probably answer all of the questions, provided I read through the lecture.

I'll probably take an hour or two out of Saturday this week to do the lessons here.

Name: Brihimia
Why you want to take WA 101: Because I love the WA! :D
Have you ever tried your hand at passing WA legislation before? How did that go? Yes, not very well
How often would you like new lectures to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.) Weekly
How often would you like new coursework to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.) Biweekly
Would you prefer to only audit the class? (i.e., only read the lectures without doing any courseword) I'll do both

Name:
Why you want to take WA 101: Because I have seen some resolutions in the WA that I disagree with, and would like to make an attempt at a Repeal. Similarly, I believe that there is some legislation that does not exist, which should.
Have you ever tried your hand at passing WA legislation before? How did that go? I have not, because I felt I should learn more before I made a proposal.
How often would you like new lectures to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.) Every week, but I am fine with whatever works easiest for the teacher.
How often would you like new coursework Every be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.) I would like new coursework to be posted with each lecture.
Would you prefer to only audit the class? (i.e., only read the lectures without doing any courseword) No, I would love to do the coursework along with read the lectures.

I hope it isn't to late to register.

Just a head's up for everyone that I'm working on finalizing *.pdf copies of WA/GA 101 and also an SC 101 course that was written by Skydip (aka Elias Greyjoy). He gave me the okay to compile and share that information when he was back on NS for like a week earlier this year. You're, of course, welcome to read through and respond to the content that's been posted here, but I hope to provide that content before the end of the month/term.

Name: Fip
Why you want to take WA 101: I've been a member of the WA for a while now, and I want to make sure I'm doing things right.
Have you ever tried your hand at passing WA legislation before? How did that go? No, I haven't before.
How often would you like new lectures to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.) Any schedule is fine.
How often would you like new coursework to be posted? (i.e., every week, twice a week, etc.) Any schedule is fine.
Would you prefer to only audit the class? (i.e., only read the lectures without doing any courseword) No, I want to do the coursework.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back