[GA] At Vote: Individual Working Freedoms [Complete]

r3naissanc3r

TNPer
-
-
Individual Working Freedoms

Category: Advancement of Industry | Area of Effect: Labor Deregulation | Proposed by: Gruenberger Overseas Affiliate Territory | Resolution link | World Assembly forum thread

Description: The World Assembly,

Strongly reaffirming its commitment to individual liberty,

Believing that individuals should be as free as possible from undue government interference in making decisions governing their personal lives,

Convinced that the issues of when, how often, and for how long an individual works should remain an issue for private negotiation between employer and employee,

Dissenting from the view that one standard working week can be determined as a universal diktat, given the diversity of national economies, the particulars of industries working on cyclical, seasonal or other irregular working patterns, and the varying conditions, demographic, environmental, developmental, and otherwise, of member nations,

Considering any attempt to impose a universal manacle of working time restriction to be a grossly unfair abrogation of individual freedoms,

Desirous of reaching a fair compromise on the issue:

1. Encourages all nations to grant their people the greatest possible degree of freedom in determining their terms of employment, with specific regard to working time;

2. Calls upon all nations to respect the rights of individuals to be free to make choices about their terms of employment, and equally of individuals to seek representation or counsel during such negotiations;

3. Mandates the removal of working time regulations that serve only to reduce individual liberty and that do not serve any other purpose;

4. Reserves the right of all nations to choose whether to set specific regulations on workweeks and working time in the general public interest;

5. Promotes a healthy harmony of national and individual rights in economic decision-making.
Please vote: For | Against | Abstain | Present

"Abstain" means that you wish for the Delegate to not vote on the resolution at all.
"Present" means that you effectively choose not to participate in this vote. "Present" has no effect on how the Delegate votes.

Posts which do not include an explicit and unambiguous vote are not counted in the tally.

Ministry vote recommendation: For

Ministry Review
Written by HMS Unicorn

Regulation of work hours is a tricky issue. Some employment regulation is necessary to prevent employers from enforcing excessive work schedules without any control. However, what regulation exactly is necessary depends on strongly on the national economy and the nature of each individual industry. Any kind of uniform regulation is bound to be rather ineffective for a large portion of nations and industries. As a result, legislation on work hours is an issue that falls outside the scope of the World Assembly, and is best left to individual nations.

The proposal at vote recognizes these facts. It very effectively prevents any future World Assembly overreach in this area. At the same time, it encourages member states to take measures for appropriate work hour regulation. And, critically, it recognizes that any such measures should be respectful of individual freedom to choose terms of employment. For all these reasons, we recommend a vote in support of this resolution.

This goes to vote this major.

I am pleasantly surprised by this. I support deregulating work hours in RL, and I certainly support any such regulation to be decided on a national level and not internationally. So, I am supporting this.

For.

Hmm...while I like the sentiment of this resolution as there is a lot of truth to it, I am worried that it is insufficiently worded to avoid a nation, company, etc from adopting sweat-shop conditions and justifying them as legitimate.

So, I vote Nay.

Nay, due to concerns regarding the wording and loopholes. In this case I dont believe anything is better nothing.

While I recognize the concerns regarding wording and potential loopholes, I think we can apply a plain meaning interpretation here without reading too much into the language itself. While I support this legislation, I think we need to ensure that it isn't misconstrued to allow sweat-shop style labor practices by carefully reviewing subsequent legislation and our own labor regulation habits.

For.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back