At Vote: Cyber Security Act [Complete] [Complete]

r3naissanc3r

TNPer
-
-
Cyber Security Act

Category: International Security | Strength: Mild | Proposed by: Friday Freshman | Resolution link | World Assembly forum thread

Description: RECOGNIZING that in today's world, cyberterrorism is a serious threat that is often neglected by governments.

REALIZING the raw destruction that can be brought upon an area both on a domestic and international level by a small group or even a single person using computers and other technology

BELIEVING that all countries need to protect themselves and the international community from the perils of the web and the malicious people using the internet as a disguise for crime.

APPLAUDING those who have already taken steps to deal with cyberterrorism and other internet based problems.

Thus,

DEFINES the terms

Cyberterrorism as a maliciously intended attack using computers or any computing devices to cause large or small scale destruction or disruption including but not limited to physical, economical, political, and infrastructural to any other person and/or organization and/or their property by a non-state actor

Cyberterrorist as one who commits an act of cyberterrorism

Non-State Actors as entities that participate or act in international relations or organizations with sufficient power to influence and cause a change even though they do not belong to any established institution of a state. Organizations or individuals contracted or hired by the state are considered state actors for the terms of this resolution.

MANDATES that member nations make cyberterrorism illegal in their nations

DIRECTS member nations to seek out any cyberterrorists in their jurisdiction and bring said cyberterrorists to justice

REQUIRES that member nations also make the supporting of cyberterrorists through any means, but most importantly monetary assistance, illegal

RECOMMENDS member nations to share information with both their allies and the rest of the international commmunity on known cyberterrorists so that other countries can pursue those cyberterrorists who may fall in their jurisdiction.

URGES member nations raise awareness of cyberterrorism and other internet related issues within their nations in an attempt to educate the public as to the dangers of the internet.
Please vote: For | Against | Abstain | Present

"Abstain" means that you wish for the Delegate to not vote on the resolution at all.
"Present" means that you effectively choose not to participate in this vote. "Present" has no effect on how the Delegate votes.

Posts which do not include an explicit and unambiguous vote are not counted in the tally.

Ministerial Review​

While I personally feel there is a need for legislation governing this particular area, it is saddening to see this coming to vote. Having perused the debate thread since the inception as time allowed me I feel it really could have benefited from more craft work. As it stands this proposal really doesn't do a lot, which for the mild category is acceptable, but it could have done so much more than some very simplistic mandates and some common sense recommendations.

The ambassador from Friday Freshman has some very good ideas in general and has the potential in due course to join the ranks of the WA authors, however this is neither the time, nor the topic that is going to do it for him.

Ministerial Recommendation​

As it stands, aside from the minimal teeth and rushed authoring, something which while I cannot claim to be innocent of myself, can be problematic to a draft, the grammatical errors and general text leaves something to be desired. Resultantly I recommend an AGAINST vote to the region at this time.

As per usual this is a suggested vote only, please vote FOR, AGAINST or ABSTAIN as desired below.

I am also voting against. The draft has a few grammatical errors, the definitions and operative clauses are very poor in content. Looking at the discussion thread in the NS forum, this was very prematurely submitted (and twice so in fact).

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back