Romanoffia for Delegate

Romanoffia

Garde à l'eau!
Yeah, I know it's kind of early to announce this, but, I am deciding to run for Delegate. Comments welcome. Have at it.

Roman glad to see you running, nontheless I have some questions for you. Ive worked with you a little on the court and seen your work. Do you think your experience as a justice as brings something new to the delegacy? If so how? And what would make you the best person for the job?
Thank youu in advance for the answers to these questions.

Leekem:
Roman glad to see you running, nonetheless I have some questions for you. I've worked with you a little on the court and seen your work. Do you think your experience as a justice as brings something new to the delegacy? If so how? And what would make you the best person for the job?
Thank youu in advance for the answers to these questions.

Would being a Justice bring anything new to the Delegacy? To be honest - possibly. Perhaps being a Justice has a cumulative effect insofar as I have served is so many positions in the government in all three branches. That gives me a good picture of how the whole thing works. I know how bureaucracy works - it's limitations and its aspects as a tool for accomplishing goals in terms of resolving conflicts.

One of the things being a justice does for someone (hopefully) is to make decisions in an objective fashion without regards to personal feelings. That is, as a justice, one has to make decisions based upon precedent and objective analysis based upon facts and experience and not how one 'feels'.

What makes me thing I am the best person for the job? My entire existence in NationStates has been in The North Pacific. I have been here since the beginning in one form or another. I have absolutely no other loyalties or interests other than The North Pacific. If I can get Gatesville to withdraw from TNP by simply presenting a proper argument for that to Gates, I think I can do just about anything to the benefit of TNP.

In the past we have had a number of Delegates who are also involved in a more than casual way with other regions in terms of the regions they participate in. There's nothing wrong with that for the most part. I do think, though, that it's time to have a Delegate who has no other interests than The North Pacific. Objectively speaking, those of us in TNP should have as our primary interest TNP. I view as my primary objective the well being and prosperity of TNP.

flemingovia:
Roman, running in an election?

Never saw that coming!

Actually, neither did I. Believe me when I say I am quite content to be Chief Justice. But I think I have more to contribute to the region than being a Justice.

I have served as MoC, MoD, MoFA, Speaker of the RA, several Cabinet positions and whatever, too many to remember off hand. I want to be Delegate to just be Delegate, but to leave a mark on the region that can be built upon to improve the regions.

Would I be a competent Delegate? Yes.

Would I be an entertaining Delegate? You betchya.

Would I put TNP first before all else? Yes, without question.

So, in all candour, it should not surprise you that I am running for Delegate. What should surprise you is that I am a serious contender for that position.

Oh, and I do not believe in any official state religion regardless of how charismatic the deity might be. :P

:lol:

I never thought of that - Minister of Cheese as opposed to Minister of Communications (well, upon closer examination, those two things are just about the same :lol: )

Actually, McM was the original "Minister of Cheese". I believe when he was first elected Delegate, his nation name was stated as "The Minister of Cheese of McMasterdonia" as a humorous gag.

Now, the actual Minister of Cheese title should go to Blue Wolf II who, as Delegate, briefly changed the regional flag on the TNP RMB to a wedge of Stilton against a black background. It was hysterical once someone actually noticed the change. I think I've got a screen capture of it somewhere. It was priceless.

Wow you have a great memory :P I forgot that I did that. Fun times indeed.

I also enjoyed the time Blue Wolf II added nyan cats to every link in the WFE. The posts on the RMB were hilarious.

mcmasterdonia:
Wow you have a great memory :P I forgot that I did that. Fun times indeed.

I also enjoyed the time Blue Wolf II added nyan cats to every link in the WFE. The posts on the RMB were hilarious.

Yup! I have a memory like a steele, er, um....four letters, begins with "T"... :P

We need a "Hysterical Posts and Quotes" thread to archive some of the funnier stuff that has occurred. :lol:

James:
Good luck to you, Roman! ^_^

Many thanks!

Kind sir or madam,

1) Could you please elaborate on your 2 comments:
Romanoffia:
I want to be Delegate to just be Delegate
Romanoffia:
What should surprise you is that I am a serious contender for that position.
2) What assurances do we have that you would not go rogue?

3) What are the implications of your current post count of 3.34PD (S.I. units)?

4) Quiz:
4.a) What does TNP stand for?
4.b) Who is the most critical of the Constabillacode?
4.c) Do you have a platform on which you are running? (No, not a treadmill, silly)
4.d) Do you agree that people over 30 are lame?
4.e) Do you agree that people under 20 are soooo immature?
4.a) The North Pacific
4.b) Flemingovia
4.c) No
4.d) no
4.e) yes

Kind sir or madam,

1) Could you please elaborate on your 2 comments:

Romanoffia
Apr 17 2014, 08:03 PM

I want to be Delegate to just be Delegate

Romanoffia
Apr 17 2014, 08:03 PM

What should surprise you is that I am a serious contender for that position.

That was semi-sarcasm on my part.

But seriously, why shouldn't I want to be Delegate? I mean, I've been in the region forever and defended the region against every rogue that has come down the pike. I've served in nearly every government capacity except Vice Delegate and Delegate. I think it's time I take a serious shot at being Delegate. I have the experience and I have the dedication to the region that is necessary for anyone who wants to a good Delegate.

2) What assurances do we have that you would not go rogue?

What reason would there be for me to go rogue? I think after being in this region for as long as I have been means that I have a vested interest in the stability, well being and growth of the region. I like TNP too much to do something asinine like that.

3) What are the implications of your current post count of 3.34PD (S.I. units)?

Hell if I know. It means I post a lot?

4) Quiz:

4.a) What does TNP stand for?

The North Pacific, of course.

It could also stand for:

Take No Prisoners
Tactical Nuclear Penguine
Thursday Night Poker
Top Notch Playaz
Theoretical Nozzle Performance
Theoretical Nozzle Performance (whatever the Hell that means)
Transdermal Nicotine Patch
rivial Network Protocol
Turtles Need Prozac

4.b) Who is the most critical of the Constabillacode?

Flemingovia. Silly question. :P

4.c) Do you have a platform on which you are running? (No, not a treadmill, silly)

"Peace, Progress and Prosperity". And, of course, some carefully timed and tastefully entertaining random acts of silliness from time to time because silly things matter.

4.d) Do you agree that people over 30 are lame?

Only if they ride horses for about six hours per day. That will make you really lame. Ride horses for as long as I have and you too can walk like me.

I used to go drinking with Abbie Hoffman back in the 80's. Abby Hoffman was famous for his quote "never trust anyone over 30" which was rather Ironic because he was 36 when he said that.

4.e) Do you agree that people under 20 are soooo immature?

Not really. They just haven't perfected the art of partying for effect yet. :P

Romanoffia would be one of the last people in this region to go rogue. He has a tremendous amount of influence already and if he had wanted to take the Delegacy by force he could have done so on multiple occasions. I would have switched him into the Delegacy in a second if there had been a threat that required his influence to remove.

What is your view of the raider/defender sub-game, and how should the NPA fit into it?

What is your philosophy when it comes to signing treaties or forming alliances with other regions? What criteria should we be looking for in a region to open formal relations with? What sort of terms do you think treaties should include or omit?

What sort of regions do you think we should pursue military cooperation with?

The platform of the Tyr's Hand party (of which I am a member) states:
Military independence
-It is the opinion of Tyr's Hand that the North Pacific Army should have operational independence with effective oversight. This means that the North Pacific Army has control of its own affairs on a day to day basis, with oversight being provided by the Minister of Defence, and that the Regional Assembly shall only intervene when extraordinary circumstances present themselves, such as a breach of law or operational professionalism.
How do you feel about the Tyr's Hand party view on military independence?

Who would you have in your ideal cabinet? (two categories in this question)

- Of players that are in the North Pacific today

- Overall, including people who have left the game/region

What role would you allow the Vice Delegate to have in your cabinet? Would you expand upon their duties in the executive simply as the Vice Delegate.. offer them a Ministry on top of their VD duties, or simply leave them to focus on their SC responsibilities?

mcmasterdonia:
Romanoffia would be one of the last people in this region to go rogue. He has a tremendous amount of influence already and if he had wanted to take the Delegacy by force he could have done so on multiple occasions. I would have switched him into the Delegacy in a second if there had been a threat that required his influence to remove.

Many thanks for the kind words!

Crushing Our Enemies:
What is your view of the raider/defender sub-game, and how should the NPA fit into it?

What is your philosophy when it comes to signing treaties or forming alliances with other regions? What criteria should we be looking for in a region to open formal relations with? What sort of terms do you think treaties should include or omit?

Military independence
-It is the opinion of Tyr's Hand that the North Pacific Army should have operational independence with effective oversight. This means that the North Pacific Army has control of its own affairs on a day to day basis, with oversight being provided by the Minister of Defence, and that the Regional Assembly shall only intervene when extraordinary circumstances present themselves, such as a breach of law or operational professionalism.
I'm sort of neutral on the issue of the raider/defender 'sub-game'. By that I mean I think there is a place for raiding and defending in the context of supporting our regional sovereignty and security. I take a rather objective stand on raiding and defending - both are valuable tools for defending The North Pacific and neither should really be excluded. In the past I have suggested that raiding is a valuable tool in the context of supporting our region and regional interests when and where needed.

My philosophy about treaties and alliances is that they should be in the best interest of the region; best interest of the regions we make alliances with; and to avoid situations in which such treaties or alliances are either inter-locked in a manner that may draw us into conflicts against our will or not in our best interests; and that we should look primarily to forming alliances and treaties with regions that are most in step with our region's ideals, goals and interests.

As to the terms that should be included or omitted in treaties and alliances, I suppose that would depend upon the region(s) involved and the purpose of the treaty. Individual diplomatic and treaty arrangements should be treated on a region by region basis in terms of how it relates to possible conflicts with other regions. What we need to avoid is a situation where two regions we are allied with who are not allied to each other and who get into a conflict which may require us to support opposing belligerents. Terms concerning possible conflicts like that need to be included in certain instances. We also should avoid anything resembling 'non-aggression pacts' (a whole book on the subject of why could be written about that).

We need to pursue military cooperation with regions that such arrangements would benefit the security of TNP and which increase our ability to 'project power' if the need arises. Which leads directly into your question concerning "Military Independence":

I agree with the concept in philosophical and practical terms 'Military Independence' relating to the 'mission' of the NPA as a military organization. The Mission of the NPA is the defense of the region in terms of a 'standing order' so to speak which includes: complying with treaty and alliance obligations and other military actions that are in the interest of the region and are generally required actions.

In defense of TNP and its interests, the MoD and the NPA should be allowed to conduct its business as it sees fit (within the scope of its general mission in terms of strategy and tactics and in compliance with the relevant governing laws, etc.). As a former MoD and General in the NPA from way, way, way back, we have always had a tradition of relative freedom of action in terms of the conduct and planning of military actions.

By the same token, there should be a general over-arching strategy as to how the NPA exerts its efforts, that being the defense of the region and the regions interests. Such strategies and tactics can effectively employ both raiding and defending methodology and both methods can work together quite effectively.

With a given over all 'mission statement' (that being the defense of the region, defense of our interests, allies and of those with which we hold treat (how's that for archaic word usage and syntax? :P ), the NPA can act not only in an independent manner, but also in a fairly autonomous fashion with little need for any 'intervention' with the exception of specific orders from the MoD in carrying out specific action and/or specific actions that the Delegate may order as require in defense of the region (especially in times of actual declared war or other required special operations).

mcmasterdonia:
Who would you have in your ideal cabinet? (two categories in this question)

What role would you allow the Vice Delegate to have in your cabinet? Would you expand upon their duties in the executive simply as the Vice Delegate.. offer them a Ministry on top of their VD duties, or simply leave them to focus on their SC responsibilities?

Off hand, I would not be averse to having the current cabinet members continue in their current positions if they so desire, or continue in a transitional period so that we don't have a disruption of our current 'operational theory'. But things being as they are, there are so many capable people who could fill any given position quite competently. Throwing out specific names of possible candidates would be impolitic on my part in the context of an upcoming election. :P

It's actually tough to say unless and until I thoroughly know every detail that I am not privy to. I would like to have the current Delegate hang around in an unofficial advisory position to consult with from time to time on generalities.

What I would probably do is to hold over the current Cabinet for a while and then use the Delegate's prerogative of holding an election for cabinet members. This would assure a smooth transition in the Cabinet and preserve continuity.

Oh, again, there are so many people to choose from. Thel and Tresville for sure and about 20 other people. :D

As for the role of the Vice Delegate - I would from time to time have the VD engage in certain administrative roles; act as an advisor on policy and planning in general, and also require the VD to be fully aware of what I am doing so that if needs be, the VD is at all times ready and informed to become Delegate if the need arises, and to conduct certain business in emergency situations should I be indisposed. I would also consider any additional duties or responsibilities that the VD would like to take on.

1. Of all the TNPers you've encountered who is your least favorite and why? A non-answer won't be specific, you've got to name names!! Err...name a name, I should say.

2. What do you think is the biggest challenge facing TNP from a foreign affairs perspective and how do you plan to address it?

PaulWallLibertarian42:
Would you make the minister of cheese as an offical cabinet position?

Possibly as an official unofficial position purely for comic relief value. :P

punk d:
1. Of all the TNPers you've encountered who is your least favorite and why? A non-answer won't be specific, you've got to name names!! Err...name a name, I should say.

2. What do you think is the biggest challenge facing TNP from a foreign affairs perspective and how do you plan to address it?

Oh, there's a long list of those if you include various usurping rogue delegates to that list. Great Bight and "Pixiedance" (being mainly IP and Cathyy) take the cake (if they can be considered TNPers in terms of the parade of various characters we've seen over the years. I know you wanted me to make you. :P :lol: :fish:

But seriously, the one's a really hate to this day have long gone away from TNP and NationStates. I don't actually hold grudges for very long. The only one still in the game that would get my hackles up if I ever saw appear again in TNP in any incarnation might be Cathyy or Insane Power.

The biggest challenge the TNP will be facing? Hard to tell. It's been very quiet for such a long time that almost any challenge could pop up at any time. But mainly it involves the potential for being dragged into other people's fights as a result of unwittingly engaging in alliances or treaties with regions that may have a gripe for each other.

Another item that will definitely challenge TNP is the strength (in terms of numbers) of the NPA. Now what does this have to do with foreign affairs? War is diplomacy by other means. The stronger the NPA is, the less likely we are to be bothered, and by the same token, there is a certain quality to quantity in terms of military might. We need to increase our ability to keep the region secure and to project power when and where needed, and to be able to deploy the endorsement abilities of NPA nations withing the region should an incursion be in the offing.

Also, given the fact that things have been so stable and quiet for so long (in terms of what we have been subjected too as a region in past history) we may see a challenge in the foreign affairs department due to complacency - and that means engaging other regions diplomatically in a fashion that averts incursions, usurpations, etc., and strengthens our current alliances.

I am interested in holding a debate for the candidates for Delegate. Leekem suggested it and I thought well why not, for once I am not running for anything.

Would you be interested in participating in a debate? I won't organize a time for it until after the nomination period has officially started.

Crushing Our Enemies:

Military independence
I've taken an entire read of the Týr's Hand Party platform and I am especially impressed by the item on Regional Independence:

Regional Independence

-Tyr's Hand believes that the region of The North Pacific must maintain its regional identity and independence in all manners relating, but not limited, to general alliances, military partnerships, regional agreements, and organizational treaties. It is our believe that an action that requires The North Pacific to give up some of its military control or personal freedoms is entirely unacceptable.

This is an interesting point that very few people consider when it comes to entering into alliances and treaties. Very few people consider, especially, treaty or alliance requirements that have possible binding effects upon the citizens of The North Pacific that might supercede the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

For instance, what if a treaty forbids us from attacking a region (in self defense or retaliation for an attack) because it is allied with a region with whom we have an alliance? Is such a treaty (and such clauses against such actions are general in all treaties) with party A broken because party B with whom we have no alliance has attacked us null and void because we are forbidden to retaliate due to our treaty with party A? My conclusion is that retaliation against such an attack against the offending region should not go unanswered. And this is the point of concern of which I spoke earlier concerning 'interlocking' treaties that may draw us into unwanted conflicts.

Second item:

Diplomatic

-Tyr's Hand believes that it is within The North Pacific's best interests to form as many connections and alliances with other regions as we can. Military treaties are highly sought after, but any treaty that will advance the interests and power of The North Pacific will always be welcomed by Tyr's Hand.

I spoke of this disposition of mine earlier. Our primary goal in diplomacy and military actions should be based upon our regional interests and promoting those interests. That is the position I held many years ago as a general in the NPA. We should not take military and diplomatic alliances lightly. We should consider how such alliances and treaties affect the internal affairs of TNP and how they affect the rights of TNP citizens in terms of freedom of movement and action within the confines of the Law and Constitution.

As Delegate, I will give my support and effort to the NPA to expand its ranks and preeminence as a military fighting force for the security of the region. This means allowing the NPA to recruit as it sees fit. Personally, I would like to see the NPA become the largest military force in NationStates. As Delegate, my first goal in the Defense department would be a target of at least 200 nations in the NPA in the form of new citizen nations. This means recruitment from every legitimate source available. In that way we do not run the risk of lowering endorsement levels of SC nations nor the Vice Delegate or Delegate's endorsement counts.

I also intend, with the help of the parties involved, to settle this R/D issue once and for all by integrating both military philosophies into one coherent policy. Some people might say that this is impossible but I have a tendency to try to make the impossible possible and generally do so.

Essentially, I may be going out on a limb here in political terms (politics be damned), but the Tyr's Hand theory would best serve the defense and security of the region. We need a more 'proactive' stance to make the region grow beyond just a static and fossilized fixture in NationStates.

[addendum on edit]

Oh, and I love the mythological reference of 'bit the hand' that everyone misses. Norse mythology is beautiful. :D

mcmasterdonia:
I am interested in holding a debate for the candidates for Delegate. Leekem suggested it and I thought well why not, for once I am not running for anything.

Would you be interested in participating in a debate? I won't organize a time for it until after the nomination period has officially started.
I would love to.

What do you think people would say is your greatest weakness? Do you also see it as a weakness? Why or why not?

punk d:
What do you think people would say is your greatest weakness? Do you also see it as a weakness? Why or why not?
My greatest weakness? I tend to say exactly what is on my mind. I would agree that is probably my greatest weakness. Why? Because it is. :P

PaulWallLibertarian42:
Who exactly is John Galt? And why do you care? Would this Mr. Galt have a role in your cabinet if they so chose to come to The North Pacific
Read Atlas Shrugged to find out who John Galt is. ;)

Yes, I would offer Galt a cabinet position as minister of industry and finance. :D

And as a side note for the record:

After a reading a comment by Lennart here, in which he announces disappointment at me having 'aligned' with the Tyr's Hand Party, Lennart is mistaken.

I do no align myself with any political party, I am not a member of any political party, nor will I become a member of any political party during my run up and if so, tenure as Delegate.

As a clarification, I happen to agree in principle with the Tyr platform as per the role of the NPA, which platform, I might add, is exactly the practical and functional policy of the current Administration of this region.

If one takes the time to read the Tyr platform, you will note this in their preamble:

Only under Delegates, such as McMaster, who allowed the North Pacific Army to practice its full abilities legally granted to them by the Legal Code, has NPA been able to truly be an active and practical force, able to protect our region and our allies against threats. But what will happen when a new Delegate takes over? Will the NPA be subject to the whimsies of a new administration that might not have the NPA's best interests in mind, or will we form an identity that unifies and defines the North Pacific Army?

I intend to continue McMasterdonia's current policy concerning the NPA because it is the best policy on a functional and practical level. In no way am I 'aligning' myself with Tyr's Hand as a party.

Mind you, Kiwi was invited to join Tyr's Hand Policy, I was not. Kiwi declined presently and I shall decline if offered now and in the future.

Thanks for the kind offer to join guys. I could not agree more with the platform that you are both running. If I am delegate these principles will definitely be something I keep in mind.

That said, I have ebbed away from party politics in TNP for a while and do not quite want to return there yet. :) Perhaps sometime in the future.

The source of the quote is here.

The only difference on this matter is that I am making it known that I will continue the current Delegate's policies in this department which happen to be the same concerns Tyr's Hand has about the current policies continuing.

As a matter of principle and action, I do not believe that the Delegate should be active in nor a member of a political party because I believe that a Delegate should be above politics and above political parties.

I also do not believe in principle or action that the NPA should function as a political party because the military should be above politics as an arm of the government. Politicizing the military is a historically dangerous position for oh, so many reasons.

I hope that settles Lennart's concerns.

Thank you for this explanation, Roman, it's really appreciated.

I know it's difficult to talk about these matters; I cannot demand you to have my same opinion but at the same time I feel you can balance this out.

Now for some different questions: What can we expect of your activity in-game? Will you be regularly active on RMB?

Thank you :)

Back