Pronouns
he/him/his
TNP Nation
Zemnaya Svoboda
Discord
Eluvatar#8517
(Expected) Frequently Asked Questions

Why are you running?
Because I want to help TNP govern itself democratically and efficiently.

My commitment to democracy in TNP may not need reiteration, but I will be clear: it may not be omniscience, it won’t always result in exactly what everyone, or even anyone wants, but it is superior to any alternative. There is no more just, or, in the long run, benevolent mode of governance than a democratic one. We are perhaps unique in NationStates in how seriously we take our democracy. We are building a system of justice which is actually just. We have a clear and concise constitution and an organized and coherent body of law which help us reduce conflict and seek fair and equal treatment for all. We are completing a collection of up to date and helpful introductory documents. We have an open but not empty voluntary assembly which writes our laws and speaks for us as a whole. We have freely elected officials who can be removed for cause by it. We have a volunteer military which works toward the ends we assign it. We can and should build on these things: complete our Court system’s march toward justice, further organize and improve our body of law as we agree, arrange matters for the future upkeep of our FAQs, clear up the fuzzy spots in our legislative and deliberative processes, and find the sweet spot where our Ministers are answerable both to the Delegate and to us all. If all that sounds like a tall order, imagine conceiving our carefully structured system today from the perspective of the era before Magicality.

What in the world could you mean when you say you want efficiency in TNP?
I don’t mean simply more tools I develop which then passively exist and are of use to everyone (though of course I will be doing that too). I mean the pursuit of the best possible systems, cultural events, et cetera. And I don’t mean to make the best the enemy of the good: quite the contrary, I mean to implement an Agile Delegacy. I mean metaphorical agility in policy and practice but also the Agile development system’s emphasis on regular team coordination and revision of plans to match reality. The long term plans I put out in preparation for my campaign nearly a year ago were helpful but the dates on them were less helpful. I will see it as my responsibility to make sure we have a plan for this week every week which is as good as we can make it. To that end I will experiment with holding regular planning sessions with all available TNPers and particularly the cabinet using the service we find to be most practical (most likely Rally) to organize, prioritize, and schedule tasks. This approach should allow us to keep things from getting lost and keep people from burning out. I will of course tailor the details to what works in practice.

So what would your actual agenda be?
Some of the projects I intend the executive team to pursue in sensible pieces and order include the work I expect to be routinely done for WA Resolutions reviews, the Foreign Update, and regular (at least weekly) NPA missions; the development and feedback-informed iterated improvement of a regional welcoming protocol (fire and forget won’t cut it); superior cultural events such as communal film screenings, trivia games, and academic symposia; furthering our values and goals with a Concord with Osiris and the South Pacific; building a respected presence in the onsite boards (WA, Gameplay, and even Technical); helping the OOC and other apolitical arteries of the region flow and expand; and all the great ideas to be suggested by TNPers for us to do.

What about the Executive Council?
The people have spoken and they have spoken clearly about the executive council system as I originally implemented it and McMasterdonia adjusted it. As such, I will not be resuming it. Instead, however, my cabinet will be part of the Agile process. As the cabinet won’t be elected it won’t represent TNP and it won’t govern overall policy: I will apply the policy that I feel best reflects the region’s will and interests. I will, however, seek the advice of the region as I feel appropriate, or as I am asked to by petitions. In other words, yes, I will be holding polls open to Citizens on appropriate questions, including the appointments of Ministers.

Why all this now?
I won’t pretend it was my plan to run in March. It really is very strange rolling out this kind of detailed and upbeat platform under the circumstances, and having to accelerate things is not easy, or even particularly fun, but I think I have to. We need to build on the progress of the last year or so and not let it slip away, and we need to keep democratic and stable governance.

Shouldn’t somebody new get a shot at it?
I don’t think many of the other candidates are new. In fact, as of this writing, I am a median candidate by TNP “age”.

How active will you be?
From now until taking office and from then until May 17th or later if necessary due to a runoff I will be on and holding meetings with the available government officials twice a day, every day, whenever helpful. For McMasterdonia’s use during his worldwide journeys, I have developed a number of tools to assist a feeder delegate who is not on 24/7. I will be using them as well to economize my time. (I will be emailed about RMB posts, telegrams, and perhaps WA Proposals reaching my telephone).

How do we know you’ll keep that promise?
I understand some of you may be worried that I could disappear. I won’t: There are two daily weekday segments I have which I can devote to TNP, and likewise two daily segments on the weekends. Generally the two segments of guaranteed presence will be between 8:00 and 8:30 EDT and sometime between 17:30 and 23:00 EDT. Given that the term ends mid-May, I can be certain that there will not be any non-NationStates concerns that contradict that schedule.

Will you be skipping out on Admin?
I will be stepping down from administrative powers as is traditional. However, in my most recent period of service as Delegate I continued to assist with administrative duties. I will do so again. I will be able to contribute to security checks as before, and hope to implement methods to assist further. The test forum and github repository will again allow me to help maintain and improve our technological and graphical systems. Nevertheless, I expect I will also be advising the admin team to add another administrator.

What of your NPIA Director role?
I will not be continuing as NPIA Director if elected. I will consult with the officers of the NPIA in finding a new Director. I don’t know who that will be, but I can say that I will choose someone I think we can trust to do right and to excel. Obviously, the NPIA has not and will not undertake any operations that might be prohibited under any remotely sensible new charter during this sensitive time for the organization.

What about the NPIA?
I will not abandon McMasterdonia’s project of rechartering the NPIA in a manner which is both functional and accountable. I just presented my idea of an Intelligence Court, but any implementation of oversight which does not harm the NPIA’s ability to serve the region, violate democratic principles, or fail to oversee the NPIA is of interest to me. Ultimately I believe it will be necessary to pass a high level NPIA charter into law.

What if you’re convicted?
I am not a spy against TNP or a traitor and I don’t expect the Court to decide, counterfactually, that I am. If they do, however, I will of course respect and abide by the sentence. If that means sending myself to the land long associated with Kandarin the elder, so be it.

Why should I vote for you?
You should vote for me if you trust my values, commitment, and competence. I wouldn’t be running if I did not trust myself.

I welcome further questions.

As you intend to appoint a cabinet, could you tell us the following;

- Who would be your ideal cabinet of TNPers?
- Who would be your ideal cabinet if you could pick anyone from NS currently active?
- Who would be your ideal cabinet if you could pick anyone who has ever played NS?

When were you appointed to the NPIA, and why did you not post an oath about it?

How can we trust you will be active, and not abandon your duties? This is not the first time this has happened.

What of your cabinet? Will you publicly announce all appointees as opposed to copy-pasting from IRC conversations, with a reasonable explanation as to why they deserve those appointments? Will you require their deputies to do the same thing?

Will you have an elected cabinet or appointed one? If elected, will you accept the results?

How can we trust you to be accountable and transparent to the people when you weren't as such when you went inactive the last time?

The problem is, we have heard this before. We can cope with officials who disappear. But we need to have confidence that whoever is elected delegate will not just disappear mid-term; and you have a poor track record. When you were delegate the last time you went walkabout for a large chunk of your term, and only returned when the threat of impeachment was imminent.

I must admit, I admire your chutzpah in standing for delegate again so soon. But back in the May 2012 delegate election concerned were raised about your prolonged periods of inactivity. Back then you gave us this assurance:

1. I don't vanish for more than 3 days when that would create a security crisis. If elected Delegate, that would apply. I'm running with that obligation in mind.

Most recently, you went AWOL almost as soon as you were elected to the cabinet.

I mean, seriously, how can we have any confidence that whatever assurances you give, as you have given in the past, you will not disappear without notice?

As a note, it's my understanding that Blue Wolf also disappeared for a prolonged period of time during his previous term as Delegate. If we assume that Blue Wolf and Eluvatar are going to be the front runners in this election, which I think is safe to assume, then we have similar records of this kind of thing happening in the past in both cases. I take Eluvatar at his word that he won't disappear again, and I say that as the person who sponsored the recall during his previous term.

I would also point out that given both candidates have a history of this sort of thing, this shouldn't be our deciding factor. If we're going to have a Delegate who might disappear during his term, wouldn't we prefer to have one who won't also close embassies with 10000 Islands, make nice with The Greater German Reich, illegally ban people, try to turn the NPA into his personal raider army, make the transition to a new Delegate as difficult as possible, and benefit from outside raider endorsements brought into the region by someone who has couped and purged us twice? This is not even to mention that we might prefer to have a Delegate who will bother to tell us what he plans to do for the next two months by posting a campaign thread.

Perspective. It's what's for dinner. Eluvatar has my support and should have the support of anyone who would like to see TNP not turned into a circus for the next two months, or longer if Blue Wolf takes a notion.

Belschaft:
As you intend to appoint a cabinet, could you tell us the following;

- Who would be your ideal cabinet of TNPers?
- Who would be your ideal cabinet if you could pick anyone from NS currently active?
- Who would be your ideal cabinet if you could pick anyone who has ever played NS?

1. Ananke, Blackshear, flemingovia, Gulliver, Hersfold, mcmasterdonia, and Thel D'Ran.
2. Almaniania, Ananke, Ballotonia, flemingovia, Former English Colony, mcmasterdonia, and Solm.
3. Ananke, Ballotonia, flemingovia, Hersfold, mcmasterdonia, Solm, and Thel D'Ran.

Govindia:
When were you appointed to the NPIA, and why did you not post an oath about it?

Officers of the NPIA do not swear public oaths as such would identify who the officers of the NPIA are in contravention of NPIA rules. McMasterdonia appointed me director here.

Govindia:
How can we trust you will be active, and not abandon your duties? This is not the first time this has happened.

I refer you to my answer to that question in the above Q&A.

Govindia:
What of your cabinet? Will you publicly announce all appointees as opposed to copy-pasting from IRC conversations, with a reasonable explanation as to why they deserve those appointments? Will you require their deputies to do the same thing?

I refer you to my answer to that question in the above Q&A, where I make clear that I will hold polls regarding my appointments.

Govindia:
Will you have an elected cabinet or appointed one? If elected, will you accept the results?

I refer you to my answer to that question in the above Q&A, where I state that I will appoint a cabinet but will seek regional advice in the form of a poll.

Govindia:
How can we trust you to be accountable and transparent to the people when you weren't as such when you went inactive the last time?

I see accountability and transparency as applying to relevant NationStates concerns. If you believe I should be transparent about matters entirely outside NationStates then you are going to be disappointed.

flemingovia:
The problem is, we have heard this before. We can cope with officials who disappear. But we need to have confidence that whoever is elected delegate will not just disappear mid-term; and you have a poor track record. When you were delegate the last time you went walkabout for a large chunk of your term, and only returned when the threat of impeachment was imminent.

Actually, I only returned after I was removed. And if you expect me to disappear two months in, well, this term is 2 months long ;)

flemingovia:
I must admit, I admire your chutzpah in standing for delegate again so soon. But back in the May 2012 delegate election concerned were raised about your prolonged periods of inactivity. Back then you gave us this assurance:

1. I don't vanish for more than 3 days when that would create a security crisis. If elected Delegate, that would apply. I'm running with that obligation in mind.

I could be a weasel and say that was my platform last may, not last september, but really I can only apologize that I did not live up to that last december. In this case I know precisely how I can be available twice daily for the next two months, with a greater degree of specificity and therefore certainty.

flemingovia:
Most recently, you went AWOL almost as soon as you were elected to the cabinet.

I don't believe I am Absent Without Leave from the cabinet.

flemingovia:
I mean, seriously, how can we have any confidence that whatever assurances you give, as you have given in the past, you will not disappear without notice?

You can believe that I know what I'm talking about when I'm talking about the routine I have set out for the next two months.

Cormac Stark:
As a note, it's my understanding that Blue Wolf also disappeared for a prolonged period of time during his previous term as Delegate. If we assume that Blue Wolf and Eluvatar are going to be the front runners in this election, which I think is safe to assume, then we have similar records of this kind of thing happening in the past in both cases. I take Eluvatar at his word that he won't disappear again, and I say that as the person who sponsored the recall during his previous term.

Thank you, I think.

Cormac Stark:
If we assume that Blue Wolf and Eluvatar are going to be the front runners in this election, which I think is safe to assume, then we have similar records of this kind of thing happening in the past in both cases. [...] both candidates have a history of this sort of thing [...].
I wouldn't forget that there are other candidates, just yet. At least one of them has received several nominations and could be a surprise front-runner. I'm only a few months' old in NS and I might be mistaken but I think most candidates here are experienced and could get votes. :D

Anyway, good luck Eluvatar for this race and sorry for getting slightly :offtopic: in your thread.

Cormac Stark:
Eluvatar has my support and should have the support of anyone who would like to see TNP not turned into a circus for the next two months, or longer if Blue Wolf takes a notion.
A circus you say? I suppose the North Pacific Army refounding was the crowning attraction of my circus then. Have you no shame, Cormac? Are there no depths you would not dive to in order to achieve you're on personal wants? Slandering the opposition in order to get your candidate elected is no way to go through life, son.

Elu, I pretty much agree with your cabinet choices. I would add Thess and Sydia to your sll-time TNP list, though.

Also, thank you for your gracious replies to the question of your walkabouts. I may still have my concerns, but I appreciate your candour.

What do you think are your worst traits? What do you think are your best traits?

What would you do to counterbalance any bad traits that may negatively affect your time as Delegate?

Belschaft:
Now, who do you actually intend to nominate to your cabinet if elected?

Starting from this:
Eluvatar:
2. Almaniania, Ananke, Ballotonia, flemingovia, Former English Colony, mcmasterdonia, and Solm.

Ananke, Ballotonia, Former English Colony, and Solm having other commitments I would instead of them seek to include the willing out of Cameron Hanover, Jamie, Kingborough, Kiwi, Scandigrad, and such Prosecutors as are no longer Prosecutors in the new Judicial term. That said I'll be holding open applications and not simply contacting people off the top of my head. If someone good offers their services, I will take them.

flemingovia:
Elu, I pretty much agree with your cabinet choices. I would add Thess and Sydia to your sll-time TNP list, though.

Also, thank you for your gracious replies to the question of your walkabouts. I may still have my concerns, but I appreciate your candour.

Sydia got bumped off of my list at the very end because I reasoned 8 would be a bit much. Thess I'm unfamiliar with, unfortunately.

You're entirely welcome to expect answers :)

Alvino Castillon:
What do you think are your worst traits? What do you think are your best traits?

What would you do to counterbalance any bad traits that may negatively affect your time as Delegate?

We've seen some discussion about my availability. I won't pretend I'm around all the time. I do think I have a different kind of consistency as a good trait, however: consistency in competence and intentions.

I would stick to a strict routine in order to combat even the appearance of unavailability.

Edit: slight clarification.

Im abit of here.
Is Eluvatar the delegate. Have I missed the election
Right
I'm confused
Is this his campaign speech or his like"Region Address" on the policies/legislation he is planning on introducing

Emperor Andrew I:
Im abit of here.
Right
I'm confused
Is this his campaign speech or his like"Region Address" on the policies/legislation he is planning on introducing
...No... the election is ongoing now. Eluvatar is one of the Candidates for election of the Delegate.

Cormac Stark:

I would also point out that given both candidates have a history of this sort of thing, this shouldn't be our deciding factor. If we're going to have a Delegate who might disappear during his term, wouldn't we prefer to have one who won't also close embassies with 10000 Islands, make nice with The Greater German Reich, illegally ban people, try to turn the NPA into his personal raider army, make the transition to a new Delegate as difficult as possible, and benefit from outside raider endorsements brought into the region by someone who has couped and purged us twice? This is not even to mention that we might prefer to have a Delegate who will bother to tell us what he plans to do for the next two months by posting a campaign thread.

Perspective. It's what's for dinner. Eluvatar has my support and should have the support of anyone who would like to see TNP not turned into a circus for the next two months, or longer if Blue Wolf takes a notion.
It was the matter that Eluvatar and BW left without prior notice, and Eluvatar to this date hasn't given an explanation for why he left. If it was RL, the only one of the two who said that was BW, never Eluvatar.

You are appointed to a public post still. The Director of the NPIA. It still requires posting an oath. Technically speaking I believe your post is invalid since you have failed to post an oath since then.

You did not answer my question about transparency in appointing positions. I would appreciate it if you please answer my question and not avoid it.

Govindia:
You are appointed to a public post still. The Director of the NPIA. It still requires posting an oath. Technically speaking I believe your post is invalid since you have failed to post an oath since then.
You seem to be fascinated with the posting of oaths.

May I ask who appointed you oath policeman, and where you posted your oath of office?

Sanctaria:
Govindia:
You seem to be fascinated with the posting of oaths.

May I ask who appointed you oath policeman, and where you posted your oath of office?
Every appointed position in TNP requires an oath. Simple as that.

Hi Eluvatar - I am supporting Blue Wolf but I did want to ask you a question or two.

You mentioned that you would like to build a Concord between TNP and TSP/Osiris. Can you offer us your opinion as to why the original Concord failed and what would you do to ensure that your proposal wouldn't fail as well?

Do you feel that our region has become one where people run to the courts for too many things? Why or why not?

I'll echo concerns raised by Flem as well. Though, I'll say that a person's past doesn't define them - for good or bad. At least, that is my opinion and in general, I'd be willing to give you another opportunity. Unfortunately, I believe BW is the best choice for this election.

I look forward to your response and wish you luck!

Govindia:
It was the matter that Eluvatar and BW left without prior notice, and Eluvatar to this date hasn't given an explanation for why he left. If it was RL, the only one of the two who said that was BW, never Eluvatar.
He was 'unavailable for online matters'.

That's enough of an explanation right there. You have zero right to any more information than Elu is willing to give.

Edit: Actually, Elu makes it pretty damn clear that it for RL matters right here

Emperor Andrew I:
Im abit of here.
Right
I'm confused

This is my Q&A thread during the election, you can definitely still vote :)

Govindia:

Firstly, I did give limited notice. Secondly, your refusal to accept my statement doesn't mean I didn't make it. I really don't want to revisit that particular part of the discussion.

Govindia:
That may have been an oversight on my part.
Govindia:
You did not answer my question about transparency in appointing positions. I would appreciate it if you please answer my question and not avoid it.
Eluvatar:
What about the Executive Council?
The people have spoken and they have spoken clearly about the executive council system as I originally implemented it and McMasterdonia adjusted it. As such, I will not be resuming it. Instead, however, my cabinet will be part of the Agile process. As the cabinet won’t be elected it won’t represent TNP and it won’t govern overall policy: I will apply the policy that I feel best reflects the region’s will and interests. I will, however, seek the advice of the region as I feel appropriate, or as I am asked to by petitions. In other words, yes, I will be holding polls open to Citizens on appropriate questions, including the appointments of Ministers.
(Underlining added.)
punk d:
Hi Eluvatar - I am supporting Blue Wolf but I did want to ask you a question or two.
Certainly.
punk d:
You mentioned that you would like to build a Concord between TNP and TSP/Osiris. Can you offer us your opinion as to why the original Concord failed and what would you do to ensure that your proposal wouldn't fail as well?
The vote in the Regional Assembly failed to pass because it was a draft which had become inconsistent with itself. The concerns that this wasn't the version being considered by other regions and that the version did not have internal consistency sunk it, I believe.
punk d:
Do you feel that our region has become one where people run to the courts for too many things? Why or why not?
Yes. The use of the Fraud law as a defamation law is questionable, and the frequent requests being made for review without standing are concerning. I do think the region will want to control the latter, at least.
punk d:
I'll echo concerns raised by Flem as well. Though, I'll say that a person's past doesn't define them - for good or bad. At least, that is my opinion and in general, I'd be willing to give you another opportunity. Unfortunately, I believe BW is the best choice for this election.
Obviously, I don't agree :P But in a democracy, that is okay :D
punk d:
I look forward to your response and wish you luck!
Thank you.
King Durk the Awesome:
Eluvatar has the support of the Regressive Party given that his extended absences leave the region vulnerable to external coups. :P
I do not accept your party's endorsement on those grounds. I also disagree with its premise.
Tyler Kazakov:
If you're elected delegate will you unban me from #TNP?
No. Firstly, you are banned under a consensus of #tnp operators. Secondly, I don't believe that any candidate should promise any individual something to benefit them personally in a campaign, ever. That would be corrupt.

madjack:
Govindia:
He was 'unavailable for online matters'.

That's enough of an explanation right there. You have zero right to any more information than Elu is willing to give.

Edit: Actually, Elu makes it pretty damn clear that it for RL matters right here
I'm asking him, as he's running for delegate. Not you. I would like him to answer his question please.

Govindia, I am not going to approve your last post, and no moderator or admin will either.

You have been asked by GBM previously to not pester Eluvatar for RL info related to that absence. There is no excuses, cut it out.

Due to this ruling, I am withdrawing my candidacy. My displeasure with this surprise ruling is tempered by my pleasure in endorsing Jamie for Delegate. I believe that he can serve the region well in that role and ask everyone who voted for me to consider voting for him.

Thank you.

Back